PDA

View Full Version : How to redirect Window$ applications windows to Ubuntu?

fernandoc1
September 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
As we have the X windows redirection in Linux systems via ssh, for example, we should be able to redirect a Windows application to a Linux machine. Is it possible?
Do someone knows anything about it?

dragos240
September 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I would assume it can be done. If you can get ssh running under windows, then I'm sure you'll find it doable.

fernandoc1
September 11th, 2009, 12:19 AM
How to get ssh running on Window$?

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Considering that redirecting over ssh is done through X11 forwarding, and Windows doesn't use the X window system for its apps, I don't see how this would be possible.

I suppose you could run it in wine, though.

dragos240
September 11th, 2009, 12:40 AM
How to get ssh running on Window$?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that there is an OpenSSH port for windows. Also a tip. Saying micro$soft or window$, etc. will ruin your forum reputation. We call it MS bashing. Try to avoid it, unless you absolutely need to.

Whiffle
September 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Also a tip. Saying micro$soft or window$, etc. will ruin your forum reputation. We call it MS bashing. Try to avoid it, unless you absolutely need to.

No kidding. Its the most annoying thing ever, more so than rickrolls. I usually don't respond to posts with that, don't know why I did this time.

dragos240
September 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM
No kidding. Its the most annoying thing ever, more so than rickrolls. I usually don't respond to posts with that, don't know why I did this time.

Maybe because he's new and doesn't know better? I think he's just following what he sees.

fernandoc1
September 12th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I didn't know that there were this kind of respect to the system that ruined the computing freedom.
Saying "Window$" I was thinking that it would be a way to show my position in the world of computing science.

Whiffle
September 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I didn't know that there were this kind of respect to the system that ruined the computing freedom.
Saying "Window$" I was thinking that it would be a way to show my position in the world of computing science.

There are better ways.

And if it really ruined computing freedom, we wouldn't be using Linux right now.