PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling UNB without a flash USB

Zlash
September 10th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hey guys.

I currently have an Aspire One Notebook with a Samsung exsternal Dvd USB drive.

I installed ubuntu with it, but i want ubuntu netbook remix due to the better support for small laptops.

I currently only have a 512mb USB disk (the file is about 1g) and i tried installing it on a dvd disk but it wont reqonize it.

Zlash
September 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hey guys.

I currently have an Aspire One Notebook with a Samsung exsternal Dvd USB drive.

I installed ubuntu with it, but i want ubuntu netbook remix due to the better support for small laptops.

I currently only have a 512mb USB disk (the file is about 1g) and i tried installing it on a dvd disk but it wont reqonize it.

Anyone? ://

:(

I just burned a second dvd with ubuntu-netbook-remix.img but as soon as the disc is burned the dvd is reqonized as empty and it wont read the freggin thing.

am i doing something wrong? are you suppose to unfold it like a winrar archive?

gah www.ubuntu.com should add an iso file of netbook remix too :/

NightwishFan
September 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
You could install using the alternate CD, choose only a command line system, and then manually install the Ubuntu Netbook Remix using:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix

Now I have no idea if you want the lpia architecture or not. I am not sure how that works, so someone else can clarify.

Zlash
September 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
You could install using the alternate CD, choose only a command line system, and then manually install the Ubuntu Netbook Remix using:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remixNow I have no idea if you want the lpia architecture or not. I am not sure how that works, so someone else can clarify.

I need a new clear install to get the drivers and stuff i need. I mounted the Ubuntu Netbook Remix 4 diffrent ways on 4 identical dvds using ubuntu 1 of the times and windows (other c) the other 3 times. non of them works, with the ubuntu install i changed it to an iso and burned it to an empty dvd with ubuntu. after burning i simply get a message saying "invalid mount option when attempting to mount the volume".

altho my pc would run alot better with the netbook remix im almost at the point in which i dont rly care for it. ive used 6 dvds and a full day to try and install the freggin file. just dont understand why it doesnt work. flash img files cant just be turned into an iso maybe?

on btjunkie.org i found a couple of Ubuntu Netbook Remix iso torrents at around 1200mb. think these would be valid usses? if so il download them straight away.

Thanks for the reply. been w8ing! :)

//Z

Chronon
September 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I believe you could also use ccd2iso to convert the .img to .iso before burning to disk.

Zlash
September 10th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I believe you could also use ccd2iso to convert the .img to .iso before burning to disk.

zlash@Zlash-laptop:~$ ccd2iso '/home/zlash/Desktop/UNR.img' '/home/zlash/Desktop/UNR2.iso'

Unrecognized sector mode (0) at sector 0!

:o

ugm6hr
September 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM

NBR is designed to be installed from USB. Rather than wasting DVD-Rs, either just invest in a (cheap) 1GB+ USB flash, or install the netbook interface on to your existing Ubuntu.

NBR does not have better support for small laptops at all. The only difference is that is has fewer default applications (to keep the HD footprint small), and it has the netbook interface and maximus.

Just keep your existing installation, and install the remix on top:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook-remix

Then reboot.

DoctorLard
September 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Not sure where you got your img file from, but the Netbook Remix ISO images are available in the usual places:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/release/
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/alpha-5/

Zlash
September 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
i have been told ubuntu netbook remix has some atom proccessor upgrades for running more smoothly on netbooks/small laptops

ugm6hr
September 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM
i have been told ubuntu netbook remix has some atom proccessor upgrades for running more smoothly on netbooks/small laptops

Nope. You've been misled.

There is an lpia kernel available, which is the default kernel for the Dell Ubuntu remix, but it is not the default on the NBR.