PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 9

Mutt77
September 10th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I did sucessfully (almost) installed iTunes 9 already. When I open iTunes it automatically goes to sleep so the program will not function after startup. Any suggestions? Jaunty 32 bit

Coder543
September 10th, 2009, 03:33 AM
I installed it, but when it runs it encounters a critical error and exits even after drawing the main window. So close, yet so far. Jaunty 32-bit, wine 1.1.29

murderslastcrow
September 10th, 2009, 05:19 AM
Um- any possibility of changing the drawing method to GDI through editing some .xml or other settings file? It may just be that the usual drawing method is crashing the program.

It's worth a shot.

Oriana
September 10th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Running GNOME 2.26.1 and WINE 1.1.29, on XP, and (without iTunes reinstall) on Vista. Searched for previous version of iTunes, but could not find download link. (I don't care about getting the latest version of iTunes as long as it talks to my 2nd gen iPod Nano without dropping data, rips mp3, and plays music if I want it to.)

My WINE/iTunes 9 says, upon running:

Apple Application Support was not found.

Apple Application Support is required to run iTunes. Please uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again.

Error 2

Interestingly, I came across this error several times when running iTunes on "school Macs"... Hm.

How in the world do you uninstall programs in WINE?

Coder543
September 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
"Applications -> Wine -> Uninstall Wine Software"

But, why don't you just use Songbird, Amarok, or Rhythmbox? Those work with everything except iPod Touches, as far as I know.

I do not think this has to do with iTunes' drawing routines or anything like that... it successfully draws itself before crashing, so... the problem should be somewhere else.

aysiu
September 12th, 2009, 05:02 PM
My suggestion would be you find a native Linux alternative to iTunes or you do a dual-boote or virtualized Windows in order to run iTunes in Windows.

Thanks to Apple, iTunes does not function well in Wine.

cnschulz
September 14th, 2009, 12:58 AM
because, unfortunately, they simply dont work as comprehensively as itunes.

songbird comes close but they seem to keep missing pretty key things, like son renaming... if it cant co-exist with itunes naming then its just not a viable option.

"Applications -> Wine -> Uninstall Wine Software"

But, why don't you just use Songbird, Amarok, or Rhythmbox? Those work with everything except iPod Touches, as far as I know.

I do not think this has to do with iTunes' drawing routines or anything like that... it successfully draws itself before crashing, so... the problem should be somewhere else.

aysiu
September 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
because, unfortunately, they simply dont work as comprehensively as itunes.

songbird comes close but they seem to keep missing pretty key things, like son renaming... if it cant co-exist with itunes naming then its just not a viable option. Well, if a native Linux app won't work, then dual-boot or virtualize Windows for iTunes.

iTunes does not function fully in Wine

rafttrip
November 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I use floola for my iPod on Win and Linux. Works grate.

Don't have to hold iTunes's hand any more to find files it keeps losing.

I would like to get iTunes working on Linux for my new Touch, but I wont hold my breath.;)

phillychease
December 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Well, if a native Linux app won't work, then dual-boot or virtualize Windows for iTunes.

iTunes does not function fully in Wine

what do you mean it doesnt function fully?
like what is missing? (i.e podcasts,buying music, etc)
all i use itunes for is to listen to music so is that alright?

aysiu
December 14th, 2009, 03:01 AM
what do you mean it doesnt function fully?
like what is missing? (i.e podcasts,buying music, etc)
all i use itunes for is to listen to music so is that alright?
More details here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1347

mkeyes001
December 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I installed itunes using wine and it runs terribly, I want to uninstall it but it hangs my session everytime I try. Can I blow away my .wine to uninstall it? Will that cause other problems? (i've only got itunes install so far using wine so I won't loose anything I don't want to.)

xenosaga456
December 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM
i don't think that u should get rid of .wine to fix ur issues because as i have tried before for other problems when u delete .wine that i could not reinstall it....EVER i tried synaptic package manage and tried to fix broken packages and nothing worked for me .....the only way i ever fixed it was to reinstall ubuntu

hikaricore
December 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I installed itunes using wine and it runs terribly, I want to uninstall it but it hangs my session everytime I try. Can I blow away my .wine to uninstall it? Will that cause other problems? (i've only got itunes install so far using wine so I won't loose anything I don't want to.)

In the case that oyu've only installed itunes then yes you can just remove your .wine directory.

aysiu
December 16th, 2009, 01:29 AM
If you're worried removing the .wine directory will screw things up, just rename it to .wine.old instead of completely deleting it. If there are no adverse effects, you can always delete the renamed file.

mkeyes001
December 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I was able to uninstall wine and removed the .wine directory with no issues, and also from command line it says no wine packages are installed. But I have another issue now, when I look under applications I still see the WINE folder with itunes & quicktime still there. I can't open them any longer but they are still there, why is this?

saltmore
December 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
you can delete the directory, and next time install something it makes another. No harm no foul.

heepie
January 16th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I couple of days ago trying to install ie4linux i discoverd playonlinux application... Lets you install all kinds of windows applications: from ie, itunes, office 2007 and a tone of games

sudo apt-get playonlinux

or just go to the respiratories

aysiu
January 16th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I couple of days ago trying to install ie4linux i discoverd playonlinux application... Lets you install all kinds of windows applications: from ie, itunes, office 2007 and a tone of games

sudo apt-get playonlinux

or just go to the respiratories
So iTunes is fully functional?

As far as I know, 1) PlayOnLinux is really just a different skin for Wine (http://stuffem.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/playonlinux-another-human-face-for-wine/), and 2) No version of iTunes gets more than a Silver rating for Wine (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1347)

hikaricore
January 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Posts like that are the exact reason I originally made the POL sticky.
The point of bumping this post with POL nonsense a month after it's been stale is what?

aysiu
January 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Posts like that are the exact reason I originally made the POL sticky.
The point of bumping this post with POL nonsense a month after it's been stale is what?
Good point.

Your sticky:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1226873

Now, closed thread.