PDA

View Full Version : What is your main Ubuntu installation media

gotenks05
September 9th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I have noticed the many on this forum as a whole use Ubuntu, but certainly not all do. For those that do run Ubuntu, what is your main installation media for Ubuntu? The choices are: Official LiveCD, custom LiveCD/DVD, or other.

I use a custom LiveDVD

This is no survey, just something for fun.

jonathanysp
September 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
i like to put the images onto usb drives since its more efficient and faster

Bachstelze
September 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Minimal CD.

drawkcab
September 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Yeah, once I figured out how to do this I gave the optical media a rest.

speedwell68
September 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I use the standard Live install from a USB stick. Disks are slow and really bad for the environment.

Bölvağur
September 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM

copy what jonathanysp said, paste what jonathanysp said

Stan_1936
September 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM

WHAT? Explain.

speedwell68
September 9th, 2009, 06:48 PM
WHAT? Explain.

Installing an image from a USB stick is way faster than from a CD or DVD.

Dragonbite
September 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I usually use uNetbootin to install it on a USB stick from the ISO since the laptop doesn't have a built-in CD-Rom drive and the external one requires too much work and space.

Plus I don't like having to keep burning CDs for 1-4 installations at most!

This time, though, I may be try the Update Manager update and see how that goes (after backing up of course).

ugm6hr
September 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM

Or, more recently, just install the Netbook remix (img image to USB copied directly) and then add my chosen DE (Xfce) & a handful of other apps.

Perfect Storm
September 9th, 2009, 08:03 PM
alternative or minimal CD - depends on my mood and on what computer I install it on.

MasterNetra
September 10th, 2009, 12:41 AM
I use CD because A: I don't have a DVD writing drive. B: I use LiveCD as a emergency disk and one my computers is a 2002 Gateway Desktop which doesn't support booting from a USB Drive, heck it just barely made it to supporting USB 2.0

earthpigg
September 10th, 2009, 01:00 AM
i didn't even bother purchasing a CD drive for the computer i recently assembled.

mobo, cpu, ram, solid state drive, video card, psu, case with usb ports in front. done.

i dont have any machines that ubiquity graphical installer will not run on, so i use the graphical ubuntu installer -- either with Ubuntu or a custom Ubuntu remix.

and yes, using ubuntu usb startup disk creator is faster than burning a cd-r.

turn that 'reserve extra space' down to zero when making the bootable thumb drive, and watch how much quicker it is to create.

i either use ubuntu usb startup disk creator (package is called usb-creator, if anyone comes across an ubuntu remix that does not include it) or -- if it not an ubuntu-based .iso -- i use unetbootin.

sometimes i dd the .img file over.