PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Connect to HP 6500 Wireless Printer

sbtobias
September 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this question, but I need to know how to go about connecting to an HP 6500 709n Wireless Printer. I am running Ubuntu 9.04. I also have a lamentable lack of knowledge. Thanks.
Barbara Tobias

i.r.id10t
September 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I'd bet that it is a samba shared printer, so just going to the printer applet in the system menu should do it for ya...

sbtobias
September 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the samba and printer applet suggestion. I clicked on the System Menu, Applications, Printers, but only saw the existing printers that are directly connected to a Windows computer, not the new HP wireless.

I'm sorry to be so dense, but I don't know how to get to the printer applet.

Barbara

i.r.id10t
September 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
System -> Administration -> Printing

There's a big "new printer" button.

sbtobias
September 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
It was a snake and it did bite. I have been able to set up the printer, and it actually work!

Thanks for your help.

Barbara

ConfederateColonel
September 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Edited to ADD: I will start a new thread with this. With the title showing [SOLVED], I'm afraid this won't be seen. Sorry about that.

I was able to connect to my HP 6500 wireless just fine and everything worked - for a while. Something happened somewhere, and now I get a message that the printer may not be connected.

1) This is affecting all three systems running Ubuntu - two running 9.04 and one running 8.04.

2) The printer works fine from my Windows XP system, so I know the printer is capable of working.

3) I am not aware of any changes made to the printer or the network (not sure if there is even anything that can be changed on the printer).

Printer Settings now shows:

Device URI: socket://:9100
Make and Model: HP Officejet 6300 Series Foomatic/hpijs. hpijs 2.8.12

I didn't make any notes to see if any of that changed.

Is there anything in the software setup that could have changed? I know that the printer wireless software was not run since it stopped working.

What is so strange is that it all worked fine on all 3 systems until something changed. Any hints as to what to check?

Thanks for any help!