PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best use for Ubuntu and cool features

GiantSpider
September 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hey I'm new to Ubuntu and Linux and general. I'm used to using Vista. Overall my experience so far is Ubuntu is easier to learn than Vista even if you have had no experience using any Linux derivatives and lots of Windows experience.

So what are some of the best things about Ubuntu? Windows has all the drivers to play newly released games. Mac has the best graphics for Photoshop.

Good things about Ubuntu:
1. Fast
2. No cost, $100 dollars for windows hurts
3. easy to learn
4. Connected to internet right away if ethernet

nisshh
September 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I agree with all those points, exept that last one, i have wireless and all i do is enter my WPA key and im good to go, so wireless is almost as easy as ethernet.

mysticaltopher
September 8th, 2009, 05:34 AM
LOTS of FREE software, with no mal-ware!!!!
easier for networking with mac's and HP printers (in my experience)!!
Virtual Desktops!!!!

steveneddy
September 8th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Secure

Reliable

Stable

Better Looking than other OS's

Almost infinite configuration variables

Free as in freedom

Think about how much time you save by not scanning for virus, trojan and spyware alone by using Linux.

Frenchie4111
September 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Also, Ubuntu is much faster and less of a resource hog than both Vista and Mac

Sgt-Slyde
September 8th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Yep, I've got all the computers in my house running Ubuntu except my wife's laptop. I have it installed on that one but I have to wait until she finishes going through her email before I can get her weaned off Vista (the Outlook mail formats don't reliably transfer to Thunderbird or Evolution). And yeah, her main complaint with Vista is it's slow.

Frenchie4111
September 8th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Mhmm, Vista would be a great OS except for its extreme need for recourses making it slow, which is what Win7 is going to fix.

Another cool thing in Ubuntu is Compiz Desktop Cube

tacantara
September 8th, 2009, 05:54 AM
The level to which you can customize Ubuntu is incredible, whether you run Compiz or not. And, for someone like me who is trying to learn more about computers and OSes than the typical user, Ubuntu is an educational playground. Soon I will set up some dual-boot systems for family members so they can experience what I get to use every day, without removing their more familiar Windows systems. It'll be interesting to see how many requests I get to come back and make Ubuntu the primary OS on those setups.

arinlares
September 8th, 2009, 06:07 AM
I've only been using Ubuntu for a week, and only then for basic stuff, as it's on a netbook. It plays my music, lets me write a bit of music, and does everything else, but because of my hardware, I don't think it could do much. I have yet to push it.

I happen to like Vista, aside from Explorer.exe crashing the first month I had it every time I plugged a USB drive in, but it's pretty good. I'd hold onto Windows if you're a big gamer, as WINE (the Windows compatibility layer for Unix systems, such as Linux) isn't 100% compatible, or will be in the near future. As far as easy to learn, Vista isn't all that tough, but Linux isn't hard either. It's not a matter of one's harder than the other, it's more curiosity than anything else. But, Vista, to me, was simpler, as it's a Windows OS, and it's what I'm used to. I say this as a new Linux user: a bit of curiosity, and a good memory, and you'll do fine in Linux. It's not that tough.

GiantSpider
September 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Mhmm, Vista would be a great OS except for its extreme need for recourses making it slow, which is what Win7 is going to fix.

Another cool thing in Ubuntu is Compiz Desktop Cube

What's the point of the desktop cube? I did a google image search and it made me dizzy. 3-d objects on 2-d screen don't work for me.

MelDJ
September 8th, 2009, 07:56 AM
What's the point of the desktop cube? I did a google image search and it made me dizzy. 3-d objects on 2-d screen don't work for me.

that is how some people like it. Ubuntu is free, you dont get many viruses, you can modify it like ubuntu ultimate, tonnes of applications, easy to use. I really dont know why my friends wont change to it however:)

Cortux
September 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
For me, Ubuntu is best for everything and I prefer having it as my only OS, however I have to keep XP for my Study Videos which have DRM and I have been unable to get it working. Besides that, Ubuntu is real cool.

snakeman21
September 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM
There really is no "point" to the desktop cube. I have it, but just because it's cool. The open source community is loaded with gurus and "hacker" types (and I mean "hacker" in the good way ;)), and we like to have more than just a functional, efficient desktop. We like to have it totally tricked out with eye candy and animated awesome-ness. So when friends and family see my sweet desktop, they say, "How can I make my computer do that?" And I tell them what Linux is, and show them it's awesome capabilities. More often then not, I send them off with a live CD to try it out for themselves.