PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a trash in a minimal Ubuntu install?

sylvainrb
September 8th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hello,

I did a minimal Ubuntu install (8.04) using openbox as my window manager. Now I was wondering when I delete a file in openbox, is it lost or does it go to a trash folder? If it does, where is that folder?

Thanks!

yabbadabbadont
September 8th, 2009, 01:51 AM
It depends... what method did you use to delete the file(s)?

sylvainrb
September 8th, 2009, 02:05 AM
It depends... what method did you use to delete the file(s)?

The delete key on the keyboard or the delete option in PCMan-FM (file manager).

If you use rm command in the terminal, files are gone for good, correct?

credobyte
September 8th, 2009, 02:10 AM
~/.local/share/Trash/files

sylvainrb
September 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
~/.local/share/Trash/files

~/.local/share/Trash/ directory doesn't not exist.

yabbadabbadont
September 8th, 2009, 02:24 AM
The delete key on the keyboard or the delete option in PCMan-FM (file manager).

If you use rm command in the terminal, files are gone for good, correct?

Yes, if you use the rm command, they are immediately removed and gone for good.

Deleting them from pcmanfm may, or may not, have moved them to the trash. It depends upon how you have pcmanfm configured. Check the settings. There is an option that decides whether or not files are immediately deleted or moved to the trash.

sylvainrb
September 8th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Yes, if you use the rm command, they are immediately removed and gone for good.

Deleting them from pcmanfm may, or may not, have moved them to the trash. It depends upon how you have pcmanfm configured. Check the settings. There is an option that decides whether or not files are immediately deleted or moved to the trash.

Thanks! That's what I thought, but there's no such option in PCMan-FM!

sylvainrb
September 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Lol forgot to mention: when I delete using PCMan-FM it asks if I really want to delete the files... (Does that mean they're gone then?)

yabbadabbadont
September 8th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Hmmm, I installed it to test and I see that you are correct... I could have sworn that I saw such an option before. Maybe I was using a different version than the one in the repositories.

I would guess that the files are really gone.

EDIT: Yep, they are gone. See the "Issues" section here for details: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM

sylvainrb
September 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Hmmm, I installed it to test and I see that you are correct... I could have sworn that I saw such an option before. Maybe I was using a different version than the one in the repositories.

I would guess that the files are really gone.

EDIT: Yep, they are gone. See the "Issues" section here for details: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM

Ok got it thanks! I realized it after searching the whole system. Deleted a file for test and tried to look for it haha!