PDA

View Full Version : Menu Bar Gone

nothilaryy
September 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Ok this seems like it would be a really simple problem that I could fix in about 20 seconds in windows, but for some reason I can't figure it out in ubuntu. Currently I run Ubuntu netbook remix and a little bit ago the menu bar across the top stopped appearing. I must have turned something off without meaning to. It hasn't been a problem because I start off in the netbook version of the desktop so I can still access all my programs, but last time I accidentally turned it off while it was in the traditional desktop mode and now I can't figure out how to access anything but one file I saved on my desktop.

Also, this may not have anything to do with it, whenever I opened firefox in the netbook remix it would resize really oddly and not take up the full screen and wouldn't allow itself to be minimized but the problem fixed itself by going into traditional desktop mode and then out and back into netbook mode.

Everything was working fine for awhile so it must have been something I accidentally changed and I have no idea what, or how to change it back, or how do anything at all. Help!

I run Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a HP Mini 110. Currently I'm typing this on a separate laptop.

If there is anything else you need to know, just tell me and I'll try my best to figure it out.

NoaHall
September 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Try using "gnome-panel" in a terminal

nothilaryy
September 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I would if I had any clue how to get to the terminal without clicking on the icon somewhere. Is there some sort of keyboard shortcut? And once I'm there I just type in "gnome-panel"?

garyed
September 7th, 2009, 07:21 PM
This might work.

alt-F2 then type in the command: gnome-panel

nothilaryy
September 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Alt-F2 didn't do anything.:(

arrange
September 7th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Crtl+Alt+F1; login with your username and password, then type
gnome-panel &Does it throw any errors? If not, try to come back by pressing Alt+F7.

astrakhan
September 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
try this. someone else had the same problem - post number six

astrakhan
September 7th, 2009, 07:42 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1201893

nothilaryy
September 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks! It worked! I lost a couple settings, but whatever. I haven't had it too long.

coolglobal
September 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
the command gnome-panel brings up a butt ugly panel that looks more at home on windows 3.1. this is a bug, and an annoying one.

coolglobal
September 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Paste this command in the terminal press enter, then restart, to fix the Ubuntu Netbook Remix Desktop Switcher bug.

gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/session/required_components_list --type list --list-type=string ["windowmanager","panel"]