PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] run .desktop in terminal

craq
September 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I have created a shortcut to an application, ML.desktop, which runs as expected when double-clicked. I would like to run it from the terminal, but can't figure out how. I get the following error, which makes sense because the .desktop file doesn't have a shebang.

$ ./ML.desktop
./ML.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
./ML.desktop: line 16: X-DBUS-ServiceName=: command not found
./ML.desktop: line 17: X-DBUS-StartupType=none: command not found
./ML.desktop: line 18: X-DCOP-ServiceType=none: command not found
./ML.desktop: line 19: X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false: command not found
./ML.desktop: line 20: X-KDE-Username=: command not found
./ML.desktop: line 21: X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase: command not found

My reason is that the .desktop file includes the 'Work path' variable, which I want to set at launch.

Alternatively,
a)how would I incorporate the workpath variable into a bash script that calls/links to the original application (on a network)?
b) how would I assign a keyboard shortcut to a .desktop file?

Don't know if it's relevant, but I have Jaunty and KDE4.2.2

Diabolis
September 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Why don't you use a alias?

Edit ~/.bashrc, at the end of it add any aliases, example:

alias myalias='applicationName arg0 arg1 arg2'
arg# are any arguments you want to pass to your program, the work path in this case.

*note: After editing the file, the new aliases will be picked up in the next new terminal.

nothingspecial
September 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Is it that the application is on your desktop. In which case you need to be in /home/username/Desktop for that command to work.

If you put it in your path ie /home/username/bin/ (which doesnt exist untill you create it) or /usr/bin/ so that all users can use it then you just need to type
ML.desktop.

On the other hand I have no idea what this application is and have no experience with a .desktop app, so all of the above may well be nonsense.

Well it`s not, but it may not apply in this particular case. Enlighten me.

*note: After editing the file, the new aliases will be picked up in the next new terminal.

Or you can just type
bash to restart bash - but you will loose your history from the moment you opened that terminal - y`know, that thing where you press the up arrow and it tells you what you just typed.

I don`t think I`m quite "on the ball today" :-\"

juancarlospaco
September 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Edit the launcher, and add.

xterm -e "commandyouwanttorun"

it opens automaticaly a terminal, and run the command inside

Darkwing-Duck
September 29th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Either move it the /home/username/ folder or, create a small script to run it in the /home/username/ folder.

Open a text editor and put the full path to what you are trying to run.

Save it in the /home/username/ folder.

chmod it to execute.

sudo chmod +x /home/username/filestochmod

Then when you open terminal it will be right there to bash it with ./runme

Hope this helps a bit.