PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How can I restore the old logout (8.04) screen in 9.04

superzorro
September 7th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hello, I have searched but haven't found if it is possible to restore the logout screen form 8.04 in Ubuntu 9.04

I really liked the other one and I just can be happy with the new one where you only have the options as lists. I just want the little screen at the middle of my screen with the different options *Logout, Restar, Shutdown, etc.

This is the only thing that has stopped me from updating

Is it possible?

lswb
September 7th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'd like to use the old style unified logout/shutdown/lock screen dialog, accessible with Ctrl-Alt-Delete hotkey, too. Unfortunately, as I understand it, more that just installing a new panel applet would be required, as some of the underlying code that the old dialog depended on has been changed.

Besides the logical (to me anyway) grouping of these funtions all under the same button and hotkey, I also dislike having all the user names displayed by the FUSA applet.

What I've done on my own 9.04 system as a poor alternative, is uninstall FUSA, and put a gnome panel shutdown applet and logout applet up in the right corner. Control-Alt-Delete by default brings up the shutdown dialog. I then set a keyboard shortcut (I use Control-Alt-Insert) for the logout applet; Control-Alt-L is (by default I believe) set to lock the screen. So now, I can access all these functions from the keyboard again, though with 8.04 and earlier, it only took one hotkey instead of 3.

BTW, after uninstalling FUSA, you will also get selections for lock screen, logout, and shutdown under Main Menu/System

nisshh
September 7th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I dont beleive its possible to revert backwards in terms of your GDM.

superzorro
September 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Thank you very much for the answers. I think I will have to get used to that new menu.