PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Incorrect Permissions for FTP user's home directory. . .

pi.boy.travis
September 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Hi! I have enabled anonymous uploads for my vsftpd powered FTP server. Not to worry, as it is behind a firewall. However, I think the permissions are wrong for the ftp user's directory, as I get a "Permission denied" error. What are the correct permissions for /home/ftp?

Thanks in Advance!

k33bz
September 6th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Hi! I have enabled anonymous uploads for my vsftpd powered FTP server. Not to worry, as it is behind a firewall. However, I think the permissions are wrong for the ftp user's directory, as I get a "Permission denied" error. What are the correct permissions for /home/ftp?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi, are you wanting permissions from just your self or for anyone, or just a group of people?

pi.boy.travis
September 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, anyone should have access to the ftp directory. This server is for my computer behind my firewall to share files. I was using samba, but I figured FTP would be faster and better suit my Linux clients.

k33bz
September 6th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, anyone should have access to the ftp directory. This server is for my computer behind my firewall to share files. I was using samba, but I figured FTP would be faster and better suit my Linux clients.

if you want everyone to have full access to that file do this
in the cli
chmod 777 /home/ftp

pi.boy.travis
September 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
if you want everyone to have full access to that file do this
in the cli
chmod 777 /home/ftp

WOW. . . that was easy. . .

Thanks!

pi.boy.travis
September 7th, 2009, 12:15 AM
OK, now I am having some issues:

If I access the server using firefox, I get: ERROR500, child died

If I use nautilus, I get: Could not open anonymous@192.168.1.150, nautilus can't handle 'ftp' locations. Same thing if I use the 'Connect to server' dialog

If I use gFTP, I can upload files and create directories, but I can't delete anything. Is there a way to allow my clients to delete files?

k33bz
September 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
using chmod 777 would allow complete access to the file or directory, read, edit, even execute, for everyone. I am not sure why you are not able to delete them.

Have you tried using it through your actual IP address and not your local IP apdress?

pi.boy.travis
September 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
OK, I did some research, and it turns out that vsftpd gets upset if you change the ftp user's home directory's permissions. So, I tried it with a folder I made inside /home/ftp and it worked, but I still can't delete files. I think that perhaps this is by design, you wouldn't want someone else to be able to delete your files, would you?