PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to save ubuntu in current form in case i mess it up

nh5y
September 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
i've already had to reinstall ubuntu twice because i was playing around with ccsm and it distorted my screen (it was distorted even after rebooting a couple times).

i was wondering if there's a way to save ubuntu in its current form on my external so that i can play around with ubuntu without having to reinstall if i mess something up again.

step-by-step instructions would be ideal!! thanks!

natasha

ps- i have a vaio vgn-txn17p in case you have any general advice about ubuntu on my particular computer

Lukica18
September 6th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I think this is what you need.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087

mgranet
September 6th, 2009, 10:37 PM
If you have an large enough external drive, you can use something like CloneZilla (http://clonezilla.org/) to essentially ghost your OS to a compressed folder on your external. I've used this with great results many times. Backing up and restoring using this method only requires you to answer a few basic questions. If you read everything it tells you, it's difficult to make a mistake. Note: Don't mess with keymaps ;)

nh5y
September 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
thanks for the replies!

on another note, i'd like to add some apps to my startup programs, so i know that the way to do that is to go to system --> preferences --> sessions... but i don't have "sessions" is there a different way to get to it? i know i had it with ubuntu 8.04, but now i'm using 9.04 and i just can't find it.

fela
September 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
About the compiz problem - that would never require a reinstall. Just login to a text terminal, and run:

DISPLAY=:0 metacity --replace&

Then you can fix your ccsm settings by going back to the GUI.

nh5y
September 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
found it! my question was hasty. it was under system --. preferences --> startup applications

zipperback
September 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
so i know that the way to do that is to go to system --> preferences --> sessions... but i don't have "sessions" is there a different way to get to it?

System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications

- zipperback
:popcorn: