PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] icon shotcut

dzon65
September 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I was wondering if it's possible to activate the window switcher (not sure if this is the wright word,used to Dutch,it's the application like 3D flip in vista) by clicking an icon instead of clicking a button.If so,how do I put it in the panel?

defacto
September 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
What's the difference between "button" and "icon" ( in panel ) ?
On the desktop, create a new shortcut, set it's icon, add command & finally, drag-n-drop to your panel.

dzon65
September 7th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Sure.But how to add a compiz application?How to add for example the cube application to the panel? For now I start this "3D flip"-effect by clicking the F1.How can I add this key binding to the panel? AND,keep it there.All url shortcuts disappear after rebooting,hope this one stays.That is,if it's possible to add that kind of shortcut to the panel.

kerry_s
September 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
in terminal:
sudo apt-get install xautomation
mkdir ~/bin
gedit ~/bin/3d-flip

put:

#!/bin/sh
xte 'key F1'

make it executable:
chmod +x ~/bin/3d-flip

now log out & back in

create your launcher & put "3d-flip" for the command.

dzon65
September 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I tried but it didn't work.Tried 3D-flip and (in dutch "schuifwisselaar").None worked,file doesn't exist.

Penguin Guy
September 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Run PATH=/home/<username>/bin:$PATH, then try again.

kerry_s
September 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
then you didn't do it right.

did you install the "xautomation" program?
did you create the "bin" folder?
etc...

it's simple really, just copy & paste.

kerry_s
September 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Run PATH=/home/<username>/bin:$PATH, then try again.

~/bin is added to the path if it exists automatically, that's why the log out & back in.

dzon65
September 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Kerry.I think the problem is "3d-flip".The code is probably wright,but not 3-D flip.It's called like that in vista.I couldn't find the word in English.On my pc it's called Schuif wisselaar.In compiz config some applications have english names,others dutch ones.

dzon65
September 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM
No use,tried several times.xautomation's installed,bin is made and executable but gives same error,"file doesn't exist".

kerry_s
September 7th, 2009, 10:22 PM
the name don't matter the script just runs the F1 key.

i use a similar thing for alt+f4, which is to close programs, cause i'm using maximus & don't want to use window-picker-applet, cause i want a normal taskbar, not the icon type.

dzon65
September 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Don't get it,did exactly the same thing with the same outcome:"file doesn't exist".I had similar problems with some other stuff though.Not far from where I live there's a firm specialized in installing linux.I consider to pay them a visit cause this wubi installed version keeps popping up problems (poor jerky and banding graphics,no standby,no headphone sound[no surround option],freezing a lot,crashing while rhythbox+visualizations,etc.....).Too bad cause this is quite a good machine.I hope these guys can fix these problems cause the way ubuntu is running now,well,my vista is stabler and yes..faster.I really like ubuntu so..fingers crossed.As for this shortcut issue,I'll give it another try but I'm pretty sure the outcome will be the same.But nevertheless,many thanks,J.

dzon65
September 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Say kerry,some good news.Got it to work!Thanks again.