PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] what is the xf86explorer key?

HamletDRC
September 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I am trying to find the keyboard shortcut to launch my home folder. My keyboard map says that it is the "xf86explorer" key. What key is that? Ubuntu Gnome 9.04

corncob
September 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I am trying to find the keyboard shortcut to launch my home folder. My keyboard map says that it is the "xf86explorer" key. What key is that? Ubuntu Gnome 9.04

Gee, I dunno. Googling xf86 gets me gobs of websites, all of which are confusing. Why don't you just change it? SYSTEM > PREFERENCES > KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS. Highlight "home folder" by left or right clicking on it and put in the key combo that you want.

pastalavista
September 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM
All keys labled xf86*** are extra keys or buttons specifically made to launch Windows options (explorer is the Windows file browser). There is also usually one for IE and media controls. My fx86explorer has a little Saturn-looking icon on it and it launches Nautilus.

corncob
September 7th, 2009, 02:34 PM
All keys labled xf86*** are extra keys or buttons specifically made to launch Windows options (explorer is the Windows file browser). There is also usually one for IE and media controls. My fx86explorer has a little Saturn-looking icon on it and it launches Nautilus.

But I have no keys labeled fx86*** on my keyboard. Is there a special keyboard that has them? Is there a program that puts them on the screen? If this is a Windows thing why do I have them in my keyboard shortcuts in Linux?
This isn't my thread but I'm just trying to learn something. (HamletDRC, where are you? Was my suggestion to bypass the problem of any help?)

Paqman
September 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
But I have no keys labeled fx86*** on my keyboard. Is there a special keyboard that has them?

Yes, you'll need a multimedia keyboard that has the extra keys.

There's no reason you can't remap whatever hotkey function you want onto a key combo you do have though.

CatKiller
September 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
But I have no keys labeled fx86*** on my keyboard. Is there a special keyboard that has them?

They won't be labelled as xf86 anything; that's just a way to refer to them, and the name comes from XFree86 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86), an implementation of the X server.

They'll be labelled things like "WWW," "email," "Search," "Sleep," and so on, or just have a representative symbol as pastalavista describes.

As Paqman says, those are just the default keys for those functions. If you don't have those keys, you can change the shortcut for those functions to anything that you like.

corncob
September 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Okay. Thanks guys. I'm starting to catch on. Its those keys at the top and sides of the keyboard with icons of a calculator, envelope, home, speakers, etc on them.

HamletDRC
September 8th, 2009, 03:29 AM
@corncob the answer was great.

My keyboard does not actually have any special keys like that, so I was confused why they would show up in the default gnome keyboard map. I just remapped them to something useful for me.