PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mencoder bash script

MrWES
September 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I need help putting the following mencoder command into a script

mencoder movie.avi -sub movie.srt -subfont-autoscale 1 -o movie.hardsubs.avi -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1800

I made a script called addsub and put $1 for the movie.avi; $2 for movie.srt and $3 for movie.hardsubs.avi. Unfortunately, that didn't work, and I think it was because some of my file names have spaces. Anyone willing to give this a shot?

Thanks,
Bill

unutbu
September 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Try:

mencoder "$1" -sub "$2" -subfont-autoscale 1 -o "$3" -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1800

The double-quotes tell bash not to break apart the variable into more than one argument.

Penguin Guy
September 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
It would be very helpful if you could post your script (inside [php] tags please). It would also be very helpful if you could tell us what you are actually trying to achieve.

falconindy
September 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It would be very helpful if you could post your script (inside [php] tags please). It would also be very helpful if you could tell us what you are actually trying to achieve.

What? It's clear he's trying to make a shortcut for an otherwise lengthy command. Unutbu has it right with putting the variables in quotes. Without the quotes, the program will think arguments with spaces are multiple arguments.

bear24rw
September 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
if you file names have spaces make sure you use \ before the space..

file name.avi
file\ name.avi

MrWES
September 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Try:

mencoder "$1" -sub "$2" -subfont-autoscale 1 -o "$3" -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=1800

The double-quotes tell bash not to break apart the variable into more than one argument.

@unutbu; that was it -- I'm still learning bash scripting.

Thanks,

Bill

#!/bin/bash