PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Join open source project.

karthick87
September 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hi friends I am very much interested in doing a open source project..But i dont know how to get started..Pls give me ur suggestion?

NikS
September 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
as far as I know, on launchpad.net, u can fulfill your wish!:D

andrew.46
September 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi getyourkarthick,

Hi friends I am very much interested in doing a open source project..But i dont know how to get started..Pls give me ur suggestion?

I guess it depends what you can do. If you can code start writing patches for your favourite project, if you can write web pages volunteer to keep the site for your favourite open source application, if you can write clear English start working on the always long neglected documentation for your favourite application. The possibilities are all there, just jump in and start working...

All the best,

Andrew

k33bz
September 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM
there are tons of sources, one of which was mentioned in the first reply. But as stated before depends on really what you can do and what you want to do.

talsemgeest
September 7th, 2009, 12:54 AM
It depends on what you are good at, what you enjoy, and which open source projects you like most. If you like Ubuntu and are into programming, you can always look through launchpad for bugs to fix. Or, if you are a good writer you can work on the documentation, or on the Ubuntu wiki. Or, if you are an artist you can help out with the artwork in Ubuntu. Launchpad is always a very good place to start, as there are many different ways to help from the one interface.

andrew.46
September 7th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hi talsemgeest,

It depends on what you are good at, what you enjoy, and which open source projects you like most.

And I guess what we both should have remembered is that an excellent way to become more involved in the Ubuntu effort is to have a look becoming involved with the Ubuntu Beginners Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam) which is becoming increasingly involved in many aspects of Ubuntu.

All the best,

Andrew

talsemgeest
September 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Hi talsemgeest,

And I guess what we both should have remembered is that an excellent way to become more involved in the Ubuntu effort is to have a look becoming involved with the Ubuntu Beginners Team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam) which is becoming increasingly involved in many aspects of Ubuntu.

All the best,

Andrew
Eeek, well spotted there andrew.46

anewguy
September 7th, 2009, 06:20 AM
While I would be in total agreement that helping with Ubuntu would be great, you may also want to check sourceforge.net as they have many open source projects looking for help or reserection.

Dave :)

karthick87
September 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I would like to work for ubuntu.How to get started?

ubuntu27
September 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I would like to work for ubuntu.How to get started?

All right! Go to this page to help Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate