PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Windows to Ubuntu

demmanmc
September 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I really like linux so much, and since i had an internet connection at home i decided to move completely from windows to Ubuntu. what i need to know: is ubuntu able to completly replace windows?
i used to (in windows):
- Use programming languages and IDEs such as Borland Delphi, Visual Studio, Aptana studio ...
- Watch animes (FLV videos).
- Edit and mount personal audio and video using GoldWave and Magix Movie Edit
- Use educational applications espicially Maple and NI-Electronic Workbench and languages dictionaries
- Play games like Need For Speed, BurnOut, Pro Evolution Soccer, Prince Of Persia, Assassin's Creed and others (i can ignore this one)
If ubuntu provides this applications i used to work with or other applicationd that do the same work, then i'll leave windows once and for all.

Exodist
September 6th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I really like linux so much, and since i had an internet connection at home i decided to move completely from windows to Ubuntu. what i need to know: is ubuntu able to completly replace windows?
i used to (in windows):
- Use programming languages and IDEs such as Borland Delphi, Visual Studio, Aptana studio ...
- Use educational applications espicially Maple and NI-Electronic Workbench
- Play games like Need For Speed, BurnOut, Pro Evolution Soccer, Prince Of Persia, Assassin's Creed and others (i can ignore this one)
If ubuntu provides this applications i used to work with or other applicationd that do the same work, then i'll leave windows once and for all.

- Programming ,Yes there are IDEs out there much like VStudio. I learned C++ with Visual Studio. Also there are compilers that come with the OS like GCC. Try GLADE and install the Build-Essential package.

- Yes flash works great.. I love my Hulu..

- Game, ehh.. There are alot of games for Linux. Also ID Software makes linux installers for just about all their games. Its easy for them since they are OpenGL and not DirectX. But you can always dual boot XP for gaming. Many do and use linux for everything else.

- There are so many programs for linux I cant even keep up with them. :-)

bryncoles
September 6th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Video and multimedia has been no problem for me! I don't program so cant say about that, and I use only generic software for all my computing needs (academic mostly).

Set yourself dual booting, while you check out Ubuntu's suitability. For me, it meets all my needs!

hal8000
September 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM
i used to (in windows):
- Edit and mount personal audio and video using GoldWave and Magix Movie Edit
- Use educational applications espicially Maple and NI-Electronic Workbench and languages dictionaries

Regarding some of your other questions:
FLV files is just a plugin and its possible to watch or listen to any windows audio or video files with Linux.

Electronics:
Regarding Maple and Electronic workbench. It may be possible to run them using wine. However Circuit Maker (native windows) runs under linux with wine. However if you want a free schemeatic capture and spice simulator
then on linux we have Qucs, Ktechlab and geda and kicad. Kicad look for screenshots on google as it is the only program that can create apcb layout and view in 3D.
And also not forgetting LTspice from Linear Technology which runs under linux with wine and even has a user group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/

Games:
I have a small windows partitionp to run my games which dont work under linux; everything else is done on linux.
Hope that helps

cos85
September 6th, 2009, 12:47 PM
IDEs in Linux are nowhere as flashy as Visual Studio, though I personally prefer the non-flashy kind of dev tools (look for netbeans or eclipse, though both of those are written in java -- I prefer the very frugal codeblocks editor). I don't know about Aptana, but your chances of running Delphi under Linux are slim -- Borland released a Linux version of Delphi called Kylix a few years ago, but I don't think they support it any longer.
GCC is a wonderful toolchain for C/C++, and I would choose it any minute over Microsoft's stuff. There is also an Open Source .NET implementation called Mono that you may want to look into if you like C# etc.

Flash support is as good as in Windows. Try SMPlayer for a decent media player, look for the restricted-extras and W32Codecs packages (the second may need a bit of searching) for support of obscure Windows codecs like realplayer etc.

Maple is Open Source and in the repos, I believe. For audio editing I recommend Audacity, but read below.

All the Windows programs and games you mention *may* be usable on Linux directly using the excellent Wine compatibility layer. Not everything is usable yet, but Wine is a very active project and if something doesn't work yet, it will work in a few months' time. It's worth experimenting with.

demmanmc
September 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Thank you all for your replies, one of the reasons that made me choose Ubuntu is the fantastic support from the community. After a short trip on google, ubuntu becomes able to read audio and video, i downloaded mplayer too, the idea of "Windows for playing" is the perfect solution for me, i'll try Glade, Qucs, Ktechlab, geda and kicad, SMPlayer, and i'm almost sure that they'll be more than enogth.
Thank you all again for your great help