PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Loud noise when shutdown or restart on ubuntu 9.04

Hemenesgard
September 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hi! After i upgraded my Ubuntu from 8 to 9, a sound problem occurred. Every time i shutdown or restart my desktop, the internal speacker do a loud bip(like the common motherboards bip when boots, but much longer). There's something i can do to cancel this, or the new Ubuntu do this sound, intrinsically?
Thank's Bruno

FreewheelinFrank
September 6th, 2009, 12:19 PM
In volume Control, disable PC Speaker.

Hemenesgard
September 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Can you explain me with more details please, because my Ubuntu is in portuguese and i didn't find this option. Where do i find the "Volume Control"?

misterfixit
September 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Can you explain me with more details please, because my Ubuntu is in portuguese and i didn't find this option. Where do i find the "Volume Control"?

Go to your menu and then go to System and then go to Preferences and then go to Sound. When the Sound control window opens decide if you want sound effects. You can disable the PC Speaker there. The PC Speaker is an antiquated or legacy requirement which goes back in history to when PC's did not have sound cards.

Also, look at your top menu bar and locate the small icon of a speaker; you can adjust sound levels there either by left-clicking on the icon or by placing your curson on the icon and then using your middle thunm wheel (if you have one).

Boa Sorte!

Dave

XCan
September 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Add

blacklist pcspkr into
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf Tip: Open the configuration file as root, i.e.,
gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Hemenesgard
September 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I would like to thank everyone who answered.

misterfixit, i followed all you said but there's not such an option there. I'm blind, or its not so evident.
XCan, the codes you gave me worked, thanks! You should only add that i need to write it in a terminal like this:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

to avoid confusions by the noobs like me, because we can't save the file without administrator password.

XCan
September 7th, 2009, 01:13 PM
You're welcome. Fixed my previous post as well, gksudo is generally preferred over sudo when dealing with graphical applications. :)

LewRockwell
September 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
You're welcome. Fixed my previous post as well, gksudo is generally preferred over sudo when dealing with graphical applications. :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1255407