PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] graphics issues

Megatron3000
September 6th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Some days ago i managed to install the proprietary driver for my ATI card, which had no 3D support in the opensource driver. Now I can enjoy all the desktop fun Ubuntu has to offer, but some issues arise. I have the idea that over all, my computer seems slower: programs take some more time to load, in the cairo dock icons don't always roll smoothly... I don't think i am overloading it all: I run the desktop cube and a cairo dock with desklets for time, cpu, ram and battery.

Another problem -which might just be the same- is that movie playback is really horrible, very choppy. If i want to get into fullscreen mode, my system tends to freeze and go to an unmanagable black (I would guess it turns off the screen).

Does anyone have experience with this or an idea how to solve this? As it looks now, it seems better to just switch back to 2D, but the dock does provide heaps of functionality to me, as does the cube for organising windows in an easy and practical way.

I run Jaunty on a Toshiba with an Intel DuoCore T5450 @ 1,66 GHz, 2 GB DDR Ram + 2GB swap, my graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600

Thanks!

Megatron3000
September 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
apparently switching desktop effects off gives em the power to play videos, but this is hardly an elegant solution (there's a bit of reconfiguration needed after switching desktop effects back on). Is there anything more fluent known?