PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound not coming and driver installation instructions sound greek to me

Soul_Fly
September 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Noob Here,
Ok am a newbie. After checking the awesome awesomeness of ubuntu in the net i decided to migrate to it and ordered the live CD. I got it. over joyed I installed it. then behold I installed it. Got the cool special effects running. Installed restricted extras...etc. NOW comes the bummer. NO Sound.:confused: absolutely no sound. I checked out the forums and they advised various checks (refer Comprehensive sound issues). I did all that modprobe and stuff and found out that sound card is detected all right but no sound. I have a realtek sound card which is onboard on my MSI mobo (ALC883). Got the sound card linux drivers from realtek site. Now comes the pain in (u kno where). The installation notes are absolute G(R)EEK to me. Being a windows user the first thing i did was hit install. (dont blame me typical windows habit). Then as if reading french the first thing i realised was i was supposed to manual install that thing. then how am i to revert it? I dont suppose there is a control panel in ubuntu. and then how am i to carry out the manual install?.....total greek plz help me PLEASE. Or I'll have to revert back to a peice of **** called VISTA.
-----
Installation Notes:
http://tinypaste.com/2cc06
_
please, step by step instructions will be appreciated. Complete noob.
Other solutions will also be appreciated.

Bradtek
September 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
On board realtek card should work without download/install drivers
Most basic hardware has drivers already in the kernel, but anyway

Open a terminal and type

alsamixer

Check to see if something is turned off (or down to 0)
use the arrow keys to move and turn up/down and the M key to turn on/off

Soul_Fly
September 6th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Here check it out....
Ya they SHOULD work...thats the prob...they aren't :X

Soul_Fly
September 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
any help...please!!!

Soul_Fly
September 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Ok....got that stuff to work..... don't ask me how took me 3 hrs...but finally sound coming through...thank you for yor co-operation