PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adobe Flash, SWFDec or Gnash

sourav123
September 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
There are presently the above threee solutions for playing flash video. I am presently using SWFDec, but would like to know what are the limitations of not using Adobe's plugin.

I know that SWFDec is not the best there, but still I prefer free programs, so just like to understand what will I be missing. For the record, I mainly use Youtube and a handful of others video sites.

duanedesign
September 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I am all for the open-source free alternatives, but i have never had much luck with the non Adobe Flash plugins. The only way you are going to know is to install one and try it. Start with swfdec-mozilla, if you find it buggy try mozilla-plugin-gnash. If none of the open source options work and you can stomach it then use the flashplugin-nonfree. I applaud your efforts to stick with open source.

I can tell you that the adobe plugin has worked great.

If you do decide to install the Adobe plugin, make sure you get rid of all the others or they may cause conflicts.

sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla
sudo apt-get remove mozilla-plugin-gnash
sudo apt-get remove adobe-flashplugin
sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Bucky Ball
September 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Good advice, but you can actually run one big command to remove everything:

sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozilla mozilla-plugin-gnash adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-nonfree

:)

eyeyoubin
September 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I'm using Jaunty and I've been having problems with Google street view (while youtube and other things were working) I was using swfdec. I tried flash-nonfree, no luck. I got rid of swfdec and flash. I then installed Gnash and everything works fine.

lasleym
October 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I tried SWFDec + others, everythign worked fine except Streetview. I found this fix on Google's help forum:

Ubuntu uses open source software when possible, and the swfdec flash player that is used by default is not compatible with some flash, like street view.

1. Go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager.

2. Search (click the binoculars) for "flash."

3. Mark for complete removal anything with swfdec in the title or description.

4. Mark for installation the adobe-flashplugin package.

5. Restart Mozilla.

It worked for me!:KS:KS

Tibuda
October 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM
Ubuntu uses open source software when possible, and the swfdec flash player that is used by default is not compatible with some flash, like street view.
It is not used by default. It is just the first option.

anelephant
October 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I do belive that swfdec-mozilla is better as of now, but however it is not beeing developed as much as gnash wich got a new version 2009-09-23, and a second release earlier this year. Compare that to swfdec wich hasn't (at least to my knowledge) had any changes in 2009.

I think that gnash will with time be the default on linux platforms.

ZootHornRollo
October 16th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Thank you.

Fixed my problem.

I am all for the open-source free alternatives, but i have never had much luck with the non Adobe Flash plugins. The only way you are going to know is to install one and try it. Start with swfdec-mozilla, if you find it buggy try mozilla-plugin-gnash. If none of the open source options work and you can stomach it then use the flashplugin-nonfree. I applaud your efforts to stick with open source.

I can tell you that the adobe plugin has worked great.

If you do decide to install the Adobe plugin, make sure you get rid of all the others or they may cause conflicts.

Bucky Ball
October 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Please mark thread as solved to help others. :)