PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A good program for calling landlines for free

Georgia boy
September 6th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Hi. I've been reading the forums, googling etc trying to find a good program that can be used to call landlines for free. I've noticed that with Vonage you can call to some sixty countries landlines for free(granted,you have to pay the monthly charge but the call is free). But are there others that you can call landlines for free beside Vonage? I'm interested in calling South Korea. Looks like Skype you would pay about 21 cents a minute plus the monthly charge. Where as Vonage you have free unlimited calling with the monthly. So, are these the only two options or are there others? I'm looking for something that works with Ubuntu. I noticed that while in the Vonage site I saw where it mentioned Windows only. Any ideas?
With these programs we would be able to get rid of our landline providers right? I know that the wife would be happy to be able to call her family for free with the Vonage but I would also like to check with you gals and guys to see if there is something that is compatible with Ubuntu besides Skype. Cause with the old thing I have with At&T I think that I'm paying about seven cents a minute plus their monthly add on to the phone bill. If I could get out of that and get free and just monthly I think she would love the heck out of that.
So, any ideas?
Hope that all are having a wonderful weekend.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Tom

Paqman
September 6th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Looks like Skype you would pay about 21 cents a minute plus the monthly charge.

Depends what plan you go for. Subscribe to one of the "unlimited" plans and you just pay a monthly fee to get unlimited free calls.

Georgia boy
September 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Thanks Paqman!! I didn't notice that one. So, all I have to do is download Skype and then go from there? Is it a pain to download and will it automatically work with Ubuntu? How does this work anyway?

Thanks
Tom

Paqman
September 6th, 2009, 05:44 AM
You can get Skype through your package manager if you enable the Medibuntu (http://www.medibuntu.org/) repository.

Scunizi
September 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
There are lots of "sip" providers on the web.. That will be your cheapest option. One program that is already installed is Ekiga.. Look in Applications > Internet > Ekiga.. While setting that up it will give you an opportunity to sign up for outbound sip to pots service.. Not sure what the rates are to your desired destination but it might be worth looking at.

Also if the receiving party has a computer you could ekiga to ekiga .. or skype to skype for free.. totally free.

Jazzy_Jeff
September 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM
You should be able to use Vonage without any problem. The last time I used it, it connected through your router and is not hooked to your computer. I think the Windows only is if you want to use the virtual phone dialer. You should get a box that you hook your regular phone to and it hooks into your router.

xx58
September 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
:rolleyes:Dear Sir,
Best is call or chat computer to computer using Yahoo Messenger, Skype or AOL ect.ect.
This is absolutely free for both users. I believe in Asia everybody use Yahoo Messenger.
In Ubuntu yahoo call Gyatche stable version 1,2,1. Best open an account at Ubuntu Forum and write in search '' Loell'' and there you will find everything do install Gyache - Yahoo.

Georgia boy
September 7th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Will have to check them out. I checked the Ekiga in the Applications>Internet. Didn't see it. Went to the add/remove and found that way. Noticed that there are two listed in the repros. One has five stars and has this in the comments:Ekiga Softphone
H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
H.323 and SIP compatible videoconferencing and VoIP/IP-Telephony application that allows you to make audio and video calls to remote users with H.323 hardware or software (such as Microsoft Netmeeting) as well as SIP endpoints.
It supports all modern videoconferencing features, such as registering to an LDAP directory, gatekeeper support, making multi-user conference calls using an external MCU, using modern Quicknet telephony cards, and making PC-To-Phone calls.
The other is one star and has this listed:Ekiga Softphone
H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client - GTK-only (GNOME-free) version
H.323 and SIP compatible videoconferencing and VoIP/IP-Telephony application that allows you to make audio and video calls to remote users with H.323 hardware or software (such as Microsoft Netmeeting) as well as SIP endpoints.
It supports all modern videoconferencing features, such as registering to an LDAP directory, gatekeeper support, making multi-user conference calls using an external MCU, using modern Quicknet telephony cards, and making PC-To-Phone calls.
This package contains the GTK-standalone version that is not intended to integrate into a desktop environment like GNOME. It's the pure client based on GTK.

This application is provided by the Ubuntu community.

So, what's the difference and do you have to pay for the services of either one?

I do use Yahoo Messenger but my brother-in-law has a desktop at the office and nothing at home. Plus the time difference makes it hard to catch each other on the computer most of the time. So, will need to be able to make the landline calls. Both Skype and Vonage are looking good at the same time now. So, will have to really check them out and compare. I do know a couple of people who uses Skype and I think I know one who uses Vonage.
All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank You very much!!!

Tom

Arup
September 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Jaduka and Buenos were both totally free to US, sadly they are gone now.

Georgia boy
September 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Seems that when there's something good comes along it disappears don't it?
Well, that's the way it goes.

anewguy
September 7th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Keep this in mind - if you want to make calls from a computer via the net to a landline, Skype and Vonage both charge for that. Skype used to have (I haven't used it in a while) a flat monthly fee (mine was $19 for 3 monts I *think* at the time) that allowed you to call anywhere in the US and Canada with no extra charge (just the monthly fee). I have also had Vonage, and Vonage works slightly different in that your phone doesn't plug into your computer in some way, but instead plugs straight into the broadband line - mine was calbe line in to a splitter, TV on 1 side, Vonage adapter on the other, then from the Vonage box I had my phone plugged in and a CAT5 cable running to a wireless router. Again, Vonage has a flat monthly fee that allows you to make calls to the US and Canada with no extra charges (just the flat fee - mine was $33.50 a month when fees, etc., where added to their $24 rate).

Since you specifically mention needing to make calls to a landline, unless someone can come up with a free service, you will have to pay a fee - but if you notice them on the Skype and Vonage sites, the fee is much cheaper than unlimited long distance on most regular land line phones.

One caveat I will mention - Vonage does *NOT* guarantee your number will transfer to them, and there is *NO* guarantee you will get a *LOCAL* phone number. I fought them on this through the BBB but didn't get anywhere. They fully admitted that the person who took my order told me wrong, but they didn't offer any type of out or compromise. The result was that I had a phone number that was *LONG DISTANCE* for all of my *LOCAL* friends to call me, even if just across the hall in the same apartment building! Check this extremely well before you make a switch if the switch is to be your only phone.

Skype also used to offer (I assume they still do) a service where you could get an incoming number assigned to you - in my case I made the incoming number local to El Mirage, AZ., so my parents could use their land line phone, call a local number, and as long as I had Skype running and a phone plugged in (I had a wireless phone attached via a USB adapter in Ubuntu) I would get their call and it wouldn't cost any per-minute charges to them. I don't remember the cost of this - I think it's called Skype-In.

Remember, unless someone finds you a FREE service, Skype and Vonage will both cost you money - cheaper than long distance on a land line, but still cost you money.

dave :)

Georgia boy
September 8th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Thanks Dave. I've been checking both Skype and Vonage sites. Still talking to the wife about if she wants to do this or not and also which would be better. Noticed that I can get the Unlimited World from Skype for 12.95 a month. According to the Vonage site when I ran the test I would be able to keep the phone number that I have. Their monthly World plan is 24.99, but looks like all totaled would be 32.49. So if I use Vonage I would be able to call all over the U.S. plus the cell phones for free and also South Korea landline for free just paying the monthly total. If, I'm understanding this right. I could go and buy the unit I needed from Walmart or someplace then and just hook everything up to my router and then just call and get set up for their service?

Thanks everyone for all of the inputs.

Tom

anewguy
September 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
You should be able to get the Vonage adapter box at WalMart, but you may want to just check Vonage as well - in my location they are advertising as "no hardware costs", which implies to me that they are giving away the adapter box - you might want to check.

I wasn't going to comment before, because it all depends on the computer you have, but Skype runs on your computer whereas Vonage is stand-alone. Depending on the computer this means that some quality may suffer if you use Skype in comparison to Vonage. I can't advocate either, as my results were pretty much the same no matter which I used - I just liked the convienence of Vonage instead. Note that if you have access to the line in and splitter box for your phone service, you can unplug your main incoming line, plug the Vonage box into an outlet, and all the phones in your house will be able to work through Vonage.

Dave :)