PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which version

bgast1
September 6th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I have been using Mint Gloria with Gnome, Ubuntu-Gnome, Mint-Gloria KDE. My computer seems to still be a bit slow, and the fan is constantly running. I have a P4 processor running at 3.2 GHz Hyper-Threading. an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro video card, 2-1/2 gig ram, and an Creative Soundblaster XFi Extreme Gamer sound card which I hope to get working on this install. (Didn't have any luck following Creative's readme instructions)

I wouldn't think that my system would drag this much in linux. Which is much better than windows by the way.

Would I be better rolling back to an earlier version of Ubuntu, or use Xubuntu? Granted I would have to learn a new desktop environment if I went to Xubuntu.

NoaHall
September 6th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Well, I would expect that set up to be quite quick under Ubuntu. But I think it's your graphics card.The best would be to use Ubuntu 8.04

bgast1
September 6th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Well, I would expect that set up to be quite quick under Ubuntu. But I think it's your graphics card.The best would be to use Ubuntu 8.04

Hmmmm. I use the restricted drivers and while I've not tried to play any games in a long time. I remember having acceleration issues with that card. Also, I have to shut down all desktop effects when I watch a DVD.