PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Garbled display after recovering from hibernate

sdcmunich
September 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I have been trying out Hibernate, and it didn't work that well.

Every time I restart, I end up with a garbled screen after GRUB, so I can't log on using X. Booting in text mode using the GRUB recovery option works.

I assume that my hibernate file has a problem, and I would like to delete it / ignore it, so that I can start from a clean boot. Where is that file located?

Or can anyone explain me any other way not to restart from the hibernate file?

Thanks for your help!
/sdc

sdcmunich
September 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
sorry to bump...

Where can I find info about the hibernate process, where the hibernate file is located, and how I can restart without hibernate?

Thanks for your help,

/sdc

perce
September 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM
This might be completely pointless, but give it a try: I had a similar problem about one year ago, and to fix it I switch to text console bt Ctrl-Alt-f1 and then back to graphic mode by Ctrl-Alt-f7.

In any case, this seems a graphic card issue, and to help people help you, you should tell what card and what driver you're using. You can find this information by the commands

lspci and
lsmod.

sdcmunich
September 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks perce,

Now that you write about graphic card - I actually installed ATI Control Centre a few days ago, and I think this is my first reboot since then.
My graphics card is a Radeon 9600 (not M - the old one).

Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't help, this is one of the first things I tried.

Maybe I should try uninstalling the ATI control centre. I will go and look for the apt package name - anyone knows it?

/sdc

sdcmunich
September 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Catalyst was the problem indeed, not hibernate.

I found all the Catalyst bits in aptitude and uninstalled them, everything is now working again.

Thanks perce for your help!
/sdc