PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] create mount point

supermooshman
September 6th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hi All,

I just partitioned my second HD with parted.

Now I am looking to make a mount point for this hard drive... but after a day searching for it, I could not find it :confused:

Oh, I looked on google and the forum, but was not able to make any sense out of all this!?
Anyone who can explain this to me in "absolute beginner talk"?

Greatly appreciated!

Xenomorph05
September 6th, 2009, 12:11 AM
To add a mount point you need to add "/" to it. If you are doing this in Ubuntu select the partition and edit it and then pick the /.

zerhacke
September 6th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Uh, no, if you are adding a second hard drive to your installation you do not want to mount it to /.

coldReactive
September 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Uh, no, if you are adding a second hard drive to your installation you do not want to mount it to /.

Then what do you mount it too? /boot?

Xenomorph05
September 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
It depends on the purpose of the second partition. It doesn't need a mount point if the first one has Ubuntu and is / already? Unless they want it to be /home?

zerhacke
September 6th, 2009, 12:18 AM
It depends on the purpose of the second partition. It doesn't need a mount point if the first one has Ubuntu and is / already? Unless they want it to be /home?

The OP didn't say he had a new partition, he has a new drive.

Yes, it needs a mount point no matter if Ubuntu is already installed. Without mounting it how do you propose he uses the disk?

zerhacke
September 6th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Then what do you mount it too? /boot?

Whatever you want that is not already taken. If you mount it to /boot the only files you'll be able to use on that drive are the ones in the /boot directory. Mounting it to /home is going to make inaccessible your home directories and you obviously don't want that.

I suggest mounting it to /data

Xenomorph05
September 6th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Without mounting it how do you propose he uses the disk?

I can't say I have tried to mount a 2nd HDD but doesn't Ubuntu auto detect it like any other extra storage device?

yeats
September 6th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Okay, depending on your needs, you can mount /home or /opt or one of the already defined directories for your new drive. You could also create a new directory to be the mount point:

sudo mkdir /mnt/external

/mnt is a traditionally-used mount point directory - /media is what Ubuntu uses by default when mounting a CD or USB drive. But you could create the new directory anywhere you want.

You could then do:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/external

The -t flag specifies the volume type (could be ntfs or vfat or whatever your volume actually is). /dev/sdb is likely where your second hard drive is in the /dev directory, so /dev/sdb1 is the first primary partition of that drive. Does that help?

yeats
September 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I can't say I have tried to mount a 2nd HDD but doesn't Ubuntu auto detect it like any other extra storage device?

Yes - your other option is to locate it in "Places" without using the terminal. If you want it to automatically mount at boot time, you'll need to add an entry in /etc/fstab. There are many web sites that explain (in human-readable language) how to do this.

supermooshman
September 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
hey all,

had some internet problems, I'll have look through the thread and post my findings

Cheers

supermooshman
November 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Okay, depending on your needs, you can mount /home or /opt or one of the already defined directories for your new drive. You could also create a new directory to be the mount point:

sudo mkdir /mnt/external/mnt is a traditionally-used mount point directory - /media is what Ubuntu uses by default when mounting a CD or USB drive. But you could create the new directory anywhere you want.

You could then do:

sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/externalThe -t flag specifies the volume type (could be ntfs or vfat or whatever your volume actually is). /dev/sdb is likely where your second hard drive is in the /dev directory, so /dev/sdb1 is the first primary partition of that drive. Does that help?

He shoots
- he scores

Thanks!