PDA

View Full Version : Google's own internet.

xmastree
February 5th, 2006, 10:42 AM
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2023600,00.html

Dark fibre is the remnants of late 1990s internet boom where American web companies laid down fibre optic cables in preparation for high speed internet delivery.

Late last year, Google purchased a 270,000sq ft telecom interconnection facilities in New York. It is believed that from here, Google plans to link up and power the dark fibre system and turn it into a working internet network of its own.

Should Google successfully launch an alternative network, it is is theoretically possible for them to block out competitor websites and only allow users to access websites that have paid Google to be shown to their users.

Not sure I like the sound of that...
Dark fibre, eh? Even the name sounds sinister...

DaMasta
February 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I'm starting to fear google more and more. Their cycle is becoming all too familiar

Derek Djons
February 5th, 2006, 11:11 AM
I think the author really wondered off with his toughts about this. I fully agree that Dark Fibre could be purchased by Google to benefit over it's competitors and rivals. But I disagree on the 'being paid off' part.

Google goal in life is to bring all information up front and accessible for everybody. That's still their crusade and yes, something ackward and monopoly things happen and have to happen in order to achieve that goal.

If Google started to use Dark Fibre for the reasons as mentioned by the author it will destroy so much of it's glorius past and future. I don't think this is something the Google owners are aiming on.

TechSonic
February 5th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I really don't care about any of this. I already have a fiber optic internet connection and I don't have any restrictions. :P Should be scared right now. I have plans for them once they uncover their dark secrets.

Sirin
February 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Actually, you can start your own internet if you start a network of private linked servers via LAN/WAN included with Apache. We've been doing it for years, but Google seems to be taking this to the next level. :D

xmastree
February 5th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Google seems to be taking this to the next level.
SPLITTERS!
Judean People's Front. Pah!

fuscia
February 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
if google does turn into the next evil computing entity, at least their stuff works.

Lovechild
February 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
let me just adjust my tinfoil hat..

Breaks
February 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Let me just go downstairs and make one... a new one.. with more layers!.. but nah.. google are really expanding in the business world rapidly now.. fair played to them i say. Fair played to them indeed (can i get an amen'ah!).

Cap'n Refsmmat
February 5th, 2006, 06:51 PM
SPLITTERS!
Judean People's Front. Pah!
No, it's the People's Front of Judea!

Die heretic die!

raublekick
February 5th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I'm starting to think that Google found the remains of a cybernetic arm or something...

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Should Google successfully launch an alternative network, it is is theoretically possible for them to block out competitor websites and only allow users to access websites that have paid Google to be shown to their users.

Google wouldent do that.

Lord Illidan
February 5th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Google wouldent do that.

Have you got any proof? Google is a profit making company. If that path would generate the most profit, Google would do it. Just because a company is friendly with Linux doesn't mean the company cannot turn evil.

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Have you got any proof? Google is a profit making company. If that path would generate the most profit, Google would do it. Just because a company is friendly with Linux doesn't mean the company cannot turn evil.

I didnt say anything about them being friendly with linux. Infact that doesent make them evil or not.

And put it this way... Google is the darling of the tech industry. How hard would it be for them to turn evil? Very.

BWF89
February 5th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Google would get hit with anti-trust suits and loose if they blocked people from visiting competators websites.

A recent study has shown that a hat made out of tin foil would actually magnify the brain controlling waves.

curuxz
February 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Google would get hit with anti-trust suits and loose if they blocked people from visiting competators websites.

If it was their own private cable network they could not be hit with anti-trust. Its like complaining that sky only transmit their tv stations. Thats most likely why they are buying another network, it gets them around the loop hole of blocking websites.

Iandefor
February 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Google would get hit with anti-trust suits and loose if they blocked people from visiting competators websites. It would be a private network. Therefore, they'd be able to lock out whoever they wanted.
If they decided they didn't like the word "Japan" for whatever reason, they could go through and delete every page that used the word "Japan" without fear of repercussion. Private networks aren't necessarily subject to the same rules as public networks.

mips
February 5th, 2006, 10:18 PM
It is not financialy viable to buy dark fiber/install it it. It makes a lot more sense to lease it and and only when that part of the business becomes profitable would you consider buying/installing dark fiber.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

RaptorRaider
February 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
"We are in discussions with Google to provide content for their alternative internet service, to be distributed through their Google Cube product.
How trustworthy is "Times Online"?
If Google is actually developing a Google Cube, Google OS and Google Internet, great things are going to happen in the nearby future.

chimera
February 5th, 2006, 10:36 PM
In other news, google has created it's own religion and is going to block all other religions, as well as atheism, from their search engine. This is 100% correct information.

xequence
February 5th, 2006, 11:10 PM
In other news, google has created it's own religion and is going to block all other religions, as well as atheism, from their search engine. This is 100% correct information.

Atheism isnt a religion, rather lack of, I think :P

But I doubt all these rumours about google are true.

xmastree
February 6th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Speaking of Google censorship, we all know what happened in Tiananmen square, right?

Compare and contrast...
http://images.google.com/images?q=tiananmen
with
http://images.google.cn/images?q=tiananmen

Cap'n Refsmmat
February 6th, 2006, 02:32 AM
If atheism is a religion, bald is a hair color.

briancurtin
February 6th, 2006, 03:28 AM
How trustworthy is "Times Online"?
If Google is actually developing a Google Cube, Google OS and Google Internet, great things are going to happen in the nearby future.
bring back the NeXT cube

chimera
February 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM

But I doubt all these rumours about google are true.

I never claimed it's a religion.