PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant Access Server On Internal Network

aiharak
September 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I currently have a server setup behind a router on my home network. When I try to connect to it from my laptop using the server's external address, I'm taken to my router's configuration menu. When I try the server's internal address, I time out. I've had several people connect successfully from outside of my network. What should I do so that I can access my server internally?

superprash2003
September 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
are you able to ping the server's internal address? is the server running ubuntu server or the desktop version?

jonobr
September 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Im a bit confued about the connection you noted by other people,
however, it sounds as if your not (and need to) forwarding ports on your router to your internal IP,

So for example, if you setup a server as a web server, and it was 192.168.1.10
You would need an entry to your router that said, anything hitting
the router on port 80 forward to 192.168.1.10

Im also assuming that this works on the internal network using the direct IP.
Lastly, having the config of your router available for remote management on the Internet is probably a bad idea,

This could invite attempts to hack your network.

aiharak
September 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm running ubuntu server 9.04 with apache installed and running. I fail to ping the server's internal IP from my laptop. I'm pretty sure the router is configured properly. (My friends can access the server from its external ip address)

I just noticed that I can access the server from a computer directly connected to the network using its internal address. Looks like its just my laptop that can't connect to it. How would I fix this problem?

wojox
September 4th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You can't ping from either address?
Internal 192.168.1.101?
External address from which your friends are connecting.

Iowan
September 4th, 2009, 10:59 PM
How is your laptop connected? (wired/wireless?)

aiharak
September 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm connected via wireless to my router. The external IP goes to the router config page, the internal IP times out. The server is connected to the router directly.

Also, I'm pretty sure I will be able to access the server if I get a wired connection with my laptop but I want to avoid this if possible.

superprash2003
September 16th, 2009, 04:05 PM
when connected via wireless its within the same LAN right? in that case you should be trying ONLY with internal and not external ip.. do you run firestarter, ufw or anything similar?

ChumleyEX
September 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Does the notebook have a antivirus/firewall? Normally that is the problem, if it's a windows machine.

badger_fruit
September 16th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Please post the IP addresses of:-
- laptop Wifi connection
- laptop wired connection
- apache connection

Please also try a wired connection to your router and see if problem persists.