PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nm-applet not working, wireless problems

Hydrothrax
September 4th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hello,

The wireless doesn't work on my Ubuntu 9.04. I've been in another country for a year and was working on a wired connection the whole time, but now I'm back home and nothing works. Ubuntu can't even look for signals because the Network Manager isn't working! I keep getting this:

darkfire@Basilisk:~$ nm-applet --sm-disable

** (nm-applet:3743): WARNING **: <WARN> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken. Return: 3

anyone know what to do?

- Hydro

missirismissiris
September 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I am having a similar problem. When I start up nm-applet loads and starts as usual, but after a while it disappears from the taskbar and wi-fi connection quits working. When I open bash and manually restart nm-applet it works again, but even then I've seen the network manager occasionally stops working:

iris@irisgarden:~$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:7883): WARNING **: Invalid connection: 'NMSettingWireless' / 'ssid' invalid: 2

** (nm-applet:7883): WARNING **: Invalid connection: 'NMSettingWireless' / 'ssid' invalid: 2
** (nm-applet:7883): DEBUG: applet_common_device_state_changed
** (nm-applet:7883): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0

** (nm-applet:7883): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
** (nm-applet:7883): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb

What is signal 15?

I have re-installed network-manager from the official Ubuntu repository using Synaptic, the same problem still continues. I had deleted /etc/network/interfaces file (a suggested solution found through Google), but it made little difference if any.

If the proverbial "s" hits the fan, are there any alternative to using network-manager or nm-applet -- or can I even sniff and connect to wi-fi using terminal commands (this would also be useful when I have to use fail-safe terminal if something goes awfully wrong with the GUI)?

This is Ubuntu 9.04

My network devices gathered from lspci

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter (rev a0)

mikerobinson
February 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I have the same issue as missirismissiris. Ubuntu 10.10 everything fresh out of the box. Running nm-applet fixes the problem temporarily, but it keeps crashing.

$ nm-applet
** (nm-applet:2021): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
** (nm-applet:2021): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
** (nm-applet:2021): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb

avi95
June 27th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Forget 10.10, I have the same problem with Ubuntu 11.04 !!!
I think it's high time somebody does something about this bug...

garvinrick4
June 27th, 2011, 06:38 AM
This is kind of an old thread here is a way to just sort of reboot the network-manager

sudo service network-manager stop

sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state

sudo service network-manager start

garvinrick4
June 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Forget 10.10, I have the same problem with Ubuntu 11.04 !!!
I think it's high time somebody does something about this bug...
It very well could be a driver problem and not network-manager at all.
Start a Thread and supply users with Network cards:

sudo lshw -C network

iwconfig