fatbotgw
September 4th, 2009, 02:41 AM
What do you mean by "see" them?

Shibblet
September 4th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Yes, download Samba.

ArSarge7
September 4th, 2009, 06:06 PM
I have been a windows user for years. I want to use ubuntu server in a network for my church. I am interested in setting up a file server and print server for starters. We have a Win 2003 DC, can I add ubuntu servers to the domain so the church doesn't have to spend money on buying Win 2003 svr licenses?

Whiffle
September 4th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Sure. I have one (well, its running debian, but its functionally the same), that serves up files and printers to the network in my house.

All you need is samba, and cups (for printers).

linuxwl
September 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I install windows xp in virtualbox,then I set a share Directory,the xp could read and write the Directory。

brainspank
September 5th, 2009, 03:45 PM
You should be able to get set up fast with basic functionality. Once you get it working, I'd suggest continuing to read up on it to a) be familiar enough to troubleshoot it and b) secure/tune it to the required level. It helps if you're familiar with the Windows side of it.

starter links
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Samba's howto (not Ubuntu specific):
http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2555984

good luck.

bs

ArSarge7
September 8th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Thank you all for your replies.
I loaded the server version tonight. When it finished loading it started at the cmd line. How do I bring up the gui after I login? Is there one even to bring up? Better yet! What is URL can I go to that well walk me through the process?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

falconindy
September 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM
The server edition of Ubuntu has no graphical interface. If you want to install one (let's say Gnome), you can do this:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

interval1066
September 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I install windows xp in virtualbox,then I set a share Directory,the xp could read and write the Directory。

Samba's a more elegant solution.

linuxwl
October 11th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Samba's a more elegant solution.

Maybe ,but I am so lazy,:)