PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best traffic analyzer?

SpinningAround
September 3rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Hello, I'm looking for a traffic analyzer that display send and received traffic total but excluding loop traffic, I tested gnomes standard tool for viewing CPU, RAM and traffic but something tells me that this program also count loop traffic. I have a 10Mbit/s connection but the gnome systemtool tells me that I'm uploading over 30Mbit/s so I guess it also count loop traffic. I tested darkstats but it looks like it has trouble analyzing high amount of traffic is there any better traffic analyzer around (maybe not as advanced as wireshark)

bear24rw
September 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
You can check out bwm-ng for a simple bandwidth monitor..

SpinningAround
September 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM
You can check out bwm-ng for a simple bandwidth monitor..

Something similar but that also give information about amount uploaded and downloaded, my isp deliverer only allow 10gb a day or they will block Internet access

FreewheelinFrank
September 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Something similar but that also give information about amount uploaded and downloaded, my isp deliverer only allow 10gb a day or they will block Internet access

'Struth! Mine gives me 4G a month.

The Cog
September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 PM
iftop is a text-based traffic monitor. It's about the only one that I have seen that reports in bit/Sec instead of Byte/Sec.

luigitl
October 26th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Try this internet traffic monitor for ubuntu (http://netramon.sourceforge.net/)

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
You may want to look at vnstat. It runs from the terminal with a lot of options. Here is the man page http://humdi.net/vnstat/man/vnstat.html. It can be downloaded from the repositories.

For my needs I just use
vnstat -d -i interface to get daily usage and an estimate of daily usage, and
vnstat -m -i interface to get monthly usage and an estimate of monthly usage.

The other traffic on my LAN is insignificant so I don't try using some of the options available with vnstat to exclude them. Although, you may need to experiment with the other options.

SkyNet2029
October 27th, 2009, 12:59 AM
iptraf runs from terminal and gives option to not count the loopback device, specify by device,traffic type (udp/tcp,etc) and also gives varying output formats (kb/mb/gb).

barbz127
October 27th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I run a combination of etherape to see whats happening in realtime and ntop to see totals.

Paul

lokutus25
October 30th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I like ntop but it crash very often. Otherwise it's complete.