PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Customization - what is most important to you?

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
In your opinion, when you are customizing the look/feel of your desktop, what do YOU THINK is most important?

1. Wallpaper
2. Icons
3. Theme
4. Font
5. Panels(color, 2D/3D, launchers, etc.etc.)
6. Widgets/Docks
7. Other-EXPLAIN(ex: embedded terminal, etc.,etc.)

Simian Man
September 3rd, 2009, 06:58 PM
What do you mean by most important? If I could only change one of these things, it would have to be the wallpaper, but the ability to do that is so commonplace I could hardly call it the most important.

I always use Shiki/Gnome-Colors (a hacked version actually), so I'd say the theme and icons are most important.

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
For me, it is icons.

Couldn't care less about the theme

Wallpapers are a dime a dozen, although I would consider wallpapers as a close second....a good wallpaper can, sometimes, make or break my desktop.

IMO, the default font is chosen as default FOR A REASON.....it doesn't get in the user's way so I never change it.

I've stopped using Widgets/Docks, to conserve RAM.

I leave the panel as is, although I add a Oo.org Quickstart/Terminal launcher. Never liked the Mac (3D) look.

So, I guess icons it is....for me, atleast.

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
What do you mean by most important?...

If one feature could make or break the look/feel of your desktop, in your opinion, what would that be?

Copernicus1234
September 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
All of these can certainly break the look/feel of the desktop. Try having Windows 3.11 icons... =)

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ya!

ctrlmd
September 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Theme > wallpaper > icon

stefangr1
September 3rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Keyboard Shortcuts, I really miss the F# buttons after switching from Kubuntu to Ubuntu.

speedwell68
September 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Theme > wallpaper > icon

Theme, the icons and then the wallpaper. I don't think it has turned out badly...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/Speedwell68/Screenshot-19.png

hessiess
September 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Dark colours, esp no white anywhere. minimalism, keyboard controlability and a good dynamic tiling WM.

SuperSonic4
September 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
The icons, I've usually got something in fullscreen so wallpaper's aren't important. I use iKons which I believe a member here has in their sig

Stan_1936
September 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Theme, the icons and then the wallpaper. I don't think it has turned out badly...

I don't think I've seen those icons before. What are they called?

koshie
September 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Speedwell68, i like your desktop <3.

For me is the theme, I see the background seldom and the icons I don't care, but the theme send a personality at all my software, I see it always when i'm on my computer.

But when i change my background it's with a nice girl, or 2, or 3... And often little dress :D.

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
Everything. One thing can mess the whole thing up.

chucky chuckaluck
September 3rd, 2009, 09:16 PM
everything. One thing can mess the whole thing up.

+1

Dharmachakra
September 3rd, 2009, 09:34 PM
Fonts > Icons > Theme > Wallpaper

Stan_1936
September 4th, 2009, 09:22 PM
...For me ....I see the background seldom....

Haha!

Why?

MikeTheC
September 4th, 2009, 09:29 PM
@ OP: What do you mean, exactly, by a "customized desktop"? Do you mean just the desktop itself, or are you referring to the computer under Linux in totality?

Stan_1936
September 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
@ OP: What do you mean, exactly, by a "customized desktop"? Do you mean just the desktop itself, or are you referring to the computer under Linux in totality?

desktop itself.

sertse
September 5th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Wallpaper: The wallpaper makes single biggest impact and brings the whole "feel" of the desktop together.The rest don't really make an impact themselves without a wallpaper. A bad wallpaper single handily makes your desktop good or bad, with the other bit only define whether it is well integrated or stick out... (Your desktop sucks vs It's a nice desktop but....)

Theme (WM and Gtk/Qt): I found it hard to decide which is more important, and glad you didn't ask! :P While the wallpaper defines the desktop, the themes integrate it and bring out the finer touches.

Icons - Imo, good "generic" icons exist that could work acceptably with any combinations of the above. Surely wouldn't be as integrated, but it doesn't stick out like a saw thumb if you used them.

Fonts - I'm probably font blind, but I've always found something like DejaVu Sans to be fine. I'm recently discovered how lovely Droid fonts are, but it's really a bonus. Same explanation as above, a generic sans (or serif depending) font wouldn't really stick out, even less so than icons.

LarsKongo
September 5th, 2009, 08:49 AM
For me consistency is the most important part. A good looking theme on an ugly wallpaper doesn't look good. Cluttering icons and mixing font sizes doesn't look good etc.

Everything must flow together. One part of the desktop must not stick out too much from the rest.

Remember, the wallpaper is never the main act, consistency is. ;)

bodyharvester
September 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
sounds, login, you cant hear it from my screenshot of my desktop but the image is identical to my login screen and i have the most wonderful sounds from the Ocarina Of Time when i login which i got from gnome-look.org, i converted the .ogg's to .wav's (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Zelda%3A+OoT+ogg+for+jaunty?content=110471)

maniacmusician
September 5th, 2009, 12:02 PM
everything. One thing can mess the whole thing up.

+2