PDA

View Full Version : Opera 10 open discussion / opinions

bterminalx
September 3rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
I recently started having troubles with firefox, so I moved to Opera. And man, I got hooked. It has a very very user friendly interface, configuration, and such. Custom
panels and applets that suit your need. It even has the best mail/chat system I've seen. Though, one thing I like about it is when I go to my friends house, he has DSL, so his internet is slow at times. He has DSL, there is a feature on Opera 10 called "Opera Turbo". His browsing got a lot fast I might say. Tell us you're point of views on this browser, or post a screenshot like the one below of mine. :)

Oh here's some notes I actually took the time to gather for you all who are wondering...

- Opera 10 is a lot more faster than any browser I've used

- User friendly to the core

- Social/Blog/Microblo/Mail/IRC live linking

- A lot more of a theme resource

- Widget system you can use with your desktop (I love it)

- so much more

what are you views on this browser?

Exodist
September 3rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
I am highly impressed with this version of opera as well. Matter of fact I have made it my main browser. Cudos to the Opera Devs this time.

madjr
September 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
i like opera, but i always have issues with flash on it, specially games

hope they fixed that

bterminalx
September 3rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Personally I think mabey for the near future, that when you boot into the live cd and you're ready to install, you should be able to choose what default applications (not desktop managers) just applications.

kpkeerthi
September 3rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
I have not used it. What do you think about its font rendering? Thanks.

Exodist
September 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Flash is better in O10 then Fx 3.0.1-3.5.2
Font rendering is also excellent.

I have always tried O10, but its always had its quirks. But 10 is very nice.
Only gripe I have is Bookmarks are little bother to access if you turn off the menu bar.
Other then that its gota be the best browser out right now.

koshatnik
September 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
Loving Opera 10. It does feel less bloated than Firefox, thats for sure. Definitely the best browser around.

joey-elijah
September 3rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
mmm i really started using Opera as my default during the beta's of this release.

I LOVE the fact it comes in a QT4 version so it adapts flawlessly to GTK.

I LOVE the fact it's more stable, more responsive, faster to load pages etc than Firefox. (though i hate to say it!)

I love the "opera" features that are missing from firefox and/or chrome - magic wand, speed dial, opera unite, opera Turbo... etc

It's probably more worthy a default browser than firefox.

(and yes you can install adblock in it.)

screeeeen: -

Opera 10 QT4 flawlessly using desktop GTK theme - 'Dust'.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_FJH0hYZmVtc/SlqI9t3xf6I/AAAAAAAACAU/Vh1YXBpC8_c/s400/screenshot_001.png

FalconXR6Turbo
September 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
It's the best all-in-one browser in my opinion.

It would be even better if it had similar levels of development and support as Firefox.

If only the speedial page was as flashy as Safari I would be 110% sold !!!

howefield
September 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
...opera unite,... etc

I thought Opera Unite had been taken out of the final version ?

stinkeye
September 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Been using opera for 5 years.One of the reasons I decided to switch to linux was opera ran on it.For all you newer users there is this site for custom buttons:opera buttons (http://homepage.hispeed.ch/ttt-o/button/h-bu-various-adv.html)
At the moment I'm using the opera ibis skin with the color scheme set to indigo because I dont like the default red tabs.Also using custom buttons for menu and address bar toggle, and an open in firefox button.
You can also add your own javascript files.
For instance I use this one to block flash.
Flashblocker (http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/45343)
Just save the file as flashblock.user.js in any folder in your home directory(eg I use user_javascript) then go to preferences-advanced-javascript options and in the dialogue box at the bottom point it to the directory you made.

joey-elijah
September 3rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I thought Opera Unite had been taken out of the final version ?

Since i haven't upgraded since beta 3, i'll have to plead ignorance!

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
What are you views on this browser?

- Opera 10 is a lot more faster than any browser I've used

Firefox 3.5 rendering is faster than Opera 10. See my benchmarks here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1193567). Page loading speeds can be tweaked anyway and Firefox 3.6a1 is even faster.

- User friendly to the core

Don't have much to say about that, because I never used it for more than a day.

- Social/Blog/Microblo/Mail/IRC live linking

Social what? Who needs that? :) Seriously, if you are into social/microblog thing, there are dozens of Firefox extensions for that.

Mail - I don't use mail clients, just GMail.

IRC live linking - don't know what you mean by that. I use ChatZilla extension for Firefox.

- A lot more of a theme resource

Nothing beats Chromifox and Stylish.

- Widget system you can use with your desktop (I love it)

Opera widgets sucks. No other browser extension, widgets or whatever can be compared to Firefox extensions availability.

- so much more

So much more what? I don't see it.

Note: don't take me too seriously, I'm a Firefox lover :)

bailout
September 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Long time Opera user here. Has there been any reports of problems installing v10 over existing versions? I use it for email,notes, opera sync etc so don't want to mess up my settings.

howefield
September 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Since i haven't upgraded since beta 3, i'll have to plead ignorance!

Ah,..ok, I think that was the last version to include it, certainly a clean install of the final release doesn't have it. Don't know why.

lovinglinux
September 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I love the "opera" features that are missing from firefox and/or chrome - magic wand, speed dial, opera unite, opera Turbo... etc

Magic Wand = Secure Login (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4429)

Speed Dial = Speed Dial (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4810) = Fast Dial (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5721)

Opera Unite = No go. I don't share my folders with anyone. Besides, there are plenty of online services for that.

Opera turbo = No go. I like my privacy.

papangul
September 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Only gripe I have is Bookmarks are little bother to access if you turn off the menu bar.
I have the side panel always turned on(press F4) and the bookmarks button is the topmost there.

madjr
September 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
OK am liking it

pros:

-Opera turbo is cool on some slow bloated sites with lots of ads, but makes all images lower resolution (or doesnt fully renders them) to save bandwidth and get sites loaded faster. Is there a privacy problem with it?

-flash is working much better,even works better on some flash games i tested it., is a keeper (but keeps buging to "click to enable this plugin").

-the bar is nice and works now similar to the ff awesome bar. However the FF bar is easier on my eyes.

cons (for me):

-i need some extensions from ff

-lacks html5 support i think, since i like viewing the new dailymotion area (http://www.dailymotion.com/openvideodemo)

-how do i hide the top menu bar (looks kinda ugly since doesnt match it's theme)...

-whats the keyboard shortcut for fullscreen? can i include it on the side bar..

so it might not be my main browser for everything, but am sure going to use lots more. Good job opera

MellonCollie
September 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM

I have the side panel always turned on(press F4) and the bookmarks button is the topmost there.

Or, if you don't like the panel, add a bookmark button to the address bar area. (Right-click on address bar > Customise > Appearance > Buttons tab > Browser > then drag the Bookmarks button to where you want it)

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7360/captureqzt.png

Tibuda
September 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
mmm i really started using Opera as my default during the beta's of this release.

I LOVE the fact it comes in a QT4 version so it adapts flawlessly to GTK.

I LOVE the fact it's more stable, more responsive, faster to load pages etc than Firefox. (though i hate to say it!)

It's probably more worthy a default browser than firefox.

(and yes you can install adblock in it.)

screeeeen: -

Opera 10 QT4 flawlessly using desktop GTK theme - 'Dust'.

Where did you got a QT4 version? The file I'm downloading is opera_10.00.4585.gcc4.qt3_amd64.deb.

MellonCollie
September 3rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
-how do i hide the top menu bar (looks kinda ugly since doesnt match it's theme)...

File > Show menu bar

sisco311
September 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Where did you got a QT4 version? The file I'm downloading is opera_10.00.4585.gcc4.qt3_amd64.deb.

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000/final/en/

Tibuda
September 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000/final/en/

Thank you!

papangul
September 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
File > Show menu bar
or, Alt+F11

ceciliaFX
September 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
Long time Opera user here. Has there been any reports of problems installing v10 over existing versions? I use it for email,notes, opera sync etc so don't want to mess up my settings.
same here - I'm trying out the portable version of Opera 10 on my XP and win2000 systems, but I don't want to mess up my Ubuntu until I am sure it will upgrade properly.

I've loved Opera since around version 6 something. wouldn't be without it.

Katalog
September 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I hadn't used Opera in quite some time, but with all the buzz being generated about the current release, curiosity got the best of me and I went ahead and installed Opera 10. To be honest, at first I really didn't notice much of a speed difference between Opera and FF 3.5. Then I noticed that the "Turbo" was set to off (I don't know if this is by default or not), but when I switched it to "Auto", things were much different. I live in an old house with a wireless router that is starting to show it's age and my signal fluctuates a good bit depending on where I'm sitting at the moment. After I switched to Auto mode in Turbo, pages were loading much faster than FF. My only gripe is that after I enabled this function, pages did indeed render faster, but 2 out of 3 times not all of the graphics will load when the page claims to be finished loading. Otherwise, I'm now strongly considering making this browser my default. After fiddling with the appearance settings I was able to get the color scheme to very closely match the GTK them I'm currently using, now I just need to see if I can get the toolbars and other widgets to be a little more compact, as I am using Netbook Remix and Opera seems to take up just as much space up top as Epiphany does (even though I love that browser). I know I always have the option of going fullscreen, but it gets a little tiresome having to punch the F11 key every so often. This is the one area where FF using the Meerkat extension and Fission definitely wins, but the sheer speed of Opera 10 is extremely compelling and makes it worth doing some research on how I can make the UI a little more conservative.

chessnerd
September 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Oh, Opera. Once someone has used you they are forever changed...

I used Internet Explorer for years, then switched to Firefox for a couple months until someone told me about this browser called "Opera." I was impressed, to say the least. It was feature rich, yet also fast. It had an impressive download manager and a feed manager that can't be compared to. And it's omnibar made Firefox's "awesomebar" look like a joke. I tried to make Firefox like Opera with FireGestures and Speed Dial, but it never opened as fast or loaded web pages as quickly as Opera could. Then I figured, why try to copy Opera with Firefox when Opera is already available? Since then, I've never gone back.

Now with thumbnail tabs, Turbo, and, finally, an in-line spell check, Firefox will have to put in holograms or a teleporter if it wants to win me back.

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Not sure why we have 2 opera 10 threads going but I'll post here as well..The only issue I've run into is Facebook--When I pull up friends it refuses to list them all...If I have 20 contacts online, it may only in reality show 10. Can anyone confirm this?

aaaantoine
September 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Slightly related, Nintendo released an update to their Opera-based Internet Channel for the Nintendo Wii. It now uses a newer version of Adobe Flash, and it can now be downloaded for 0 Wii Points.

(more info) (http://thewiire.com/blog/post/6078-internet-channel-gets-flash-update-now-free)

bailout
September 3rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I see that Opera is pushing the qt3 version to ubuntu users but many are using the qt4 version instead. According to the Opera desktop blog they are not defaulting to qt4 because of some problems with it but didn't say what they were. Has anyone using the qt4 one had any issues?

sports fan Matt
September 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
nothing minor..FB Wont show all the contacts online but that's about it

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2009, 09:15 PM
I see that Opera is pushing the qt3 version to ubuntu users but many are using the qt4 version instead. According to the Opera desktop blog they are not defaulting to qt4 because of some problems with it but didn't say what they were. Has anyone using the qt4 one had any issues?

I am using the Qt4 version (though not on Ubuntu). No problems yet. It's following my Qt theme just fine.

MadCow108
September 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
what exactly is the difference between the qt3 and qt4 version?
does this only make a difference on kde or also in gnome and xfce?

RiceMonster
September 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM
what exactly is the difference between the qt3 and qt4 version?
does this only make a difference on kde or also in gnome and xfce?

Long story short, Qt4 is the version used in KDE4. The biggest difference for GNOME/Xfce users is you can make it follow your Gtk theme.