PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Wired network issues

snkiz
September 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
This is going to be a bad explanation but here goes. I have a server with two network cards, that I'm trying to connect to with my desktop. If I plug my desktop into either port I get nothing, "no network connection" but if I plug my desktop into my netbook the network comes up, if I plug the netbook into the server the network comes up, if I plug my desktop direct to the internet the network comes up. so basically everything works except the way I want it to.

dbalascak
September 3rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
So the netbook will bring up the link to the server or desktop. Most likely the netbook has an interface that is auto sensing. I automatically switches the transmit and receive pair depending on what type of network element you connect it to. You will need a rollover ethernet cable cable to go between the server and desktop. This is a cable that has the transmit and receive pairs rolled inside the cable.

snkiz
September 3rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
I used the same cable for the desktop as I did for the netbook(Two tries actualy one was cat5 and one was cat6.). I used to have my server and desktop going through a router everything worked great then, but thats not possible at the moment.

Crafty Kisses
September 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM
What are the results of the following?

route

ShutterAce
September 3rd, 2009, 06:12 AM
What dbalascak is saying is that you need a special cable to connect PC to PC because of the way it is wired at the plug. i think we used to call them patch cables.

Iowan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
AKA crossover cables... I've read that some of the gigabit cards can auto-sense...

ShutterAce
September 4th, 2009, 04:58 AM
AKA crossover cables

Yeah! That's them!