PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Howto TS Canon Pixma IP1600 not printing

convert_mrta
September 3rd, 2009, 03:04 AM
How can I TS where printing is breaking down?

Ubuntu running flawlessly except for one very frustrating problem - printing to the shared Canon Pixma IP1600. Shared on a WinXP Home SP3 desktop. Printer worked when I booted this PC in Vista, and when I first tried out Ubuntu in version prior to 9.04. After fresh reinstall, never could get printing working.

Using both Printer Configuration GUI and CUPS via browser (http://localhost:631) I can navigate to and find and setup the printer.

I used the post here to get and install driver for it
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558993&page=2

When I print a test page, both GUI and CUPS via browser indicate that job is being processed and processes successfully. But nothing happens at the printer end.

I guess I need to break this down one piece at a time. What TS tools are available to me? What logs can I look at and what am I looking for? I have read all I can find, but no luck. Printing cannot be this hard in Ubuntu.

Thanks for all leads

convert_mrta
September 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
This is not a good sign if trouble-shooting tools (not the solution per se) aren't known.

convert_mrta
September 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I should have known that everything is logged somewhere in unix/linux if you know where to look, including CUPS.

I paid a visit to linuxprinting.org, found out where the cups log is (/var/log/cups/error_log) and also how to turn up logging to debug (EVERYTHING) mode. sudo gedit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file setting the "LogLevel" to "debug"

restart CUPS (sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart)

Submitted a new print job. This time, lo and behold, there's a (new) error message about not able to find libpng.so.3

This didn't cause any error in the CUPS gnome or webclient GUI.

Installed libpng.so.3 with Synaptic and viola! Printer works.

/var/log is your friend....get to know it and its contents!