PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Remote login to diskless, headless node

mo0nykit
September 2nd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone!

This is the first time I'm posting here :)
I'd like to begin with my question:
What package do I need so I could remotely login over LAN to a diskless, headless node?

I'm learning to build a Beowulf cluster. For now, everything is still a virtual machine setup using VirtualBox on a Windows XP host. This is the guide I followed:
Setting Up A Diskless-boot Kerrighed 2.3.0 Cluster in Ubuntu 8.04 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyUbuntuClustering/UbuntuKerrighedClusterGuide)
Note that I'm NOT doing a Kerrighed boot yet, just a debootstrap base system install.

Here's the setup I have:
1 Server VM
1 Client VM (boots from the Server VM over the virtual internal network)

The Client VM is literally not headless yet, since it's still a virtual machine. This is what I would like to do:
1. While physically sitting at the Server, I'd like to remotely "sit" at the Client's "keyboard", and also see what is displayed at the Client's terminal console.
2. Something like the Remote Desktop or x11vnc. The only difference is that the Client doesn't have X11 or any GUI. I don't want it have a GUI either.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance for your help!

mo0nykit
September 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
This thread has been rather quiet :(
Everytime I google ssh, the results that easily come up are those about ssh and X11.
Anyway, I found a solution. I'll use ssh.

I'll have to edit the /etc/hosts file so that I could use host names when ssh-ing. It should include an entry like this:

192.168.100.100 node_01Then I can login to the remote host using this command:

ssh <username>@<remote_host>