PDA

View Full Version : Opening files with programs in wine

linuxuser21
September 2nd, 2009, 03:26 AM
I have searched the web up and down for a way to make files open with programs running in wine. For example: I want to be able to click on a .txt file and it opens up with TextPad; or, I want to open a .doc file to open with Word. The files work if I were to go to file > open... but it is becoming increasingly inconvenient to do this. I am aware that I can right-click on it go to properties, then Open With and choose the application I want. However When I do this, I get a popup and an error (see attachments).

P.S. I'm not quite sure how; but after a while, files such as .docx, .pptx and .xlsx files did start to work when I click on them. It however does not work with the older .doc, .ppt and .xls files though. This has happened on all my computers that have Office on it.

linuxuser21
September 6th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Bump

linuxuser21
September 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
bump

jacksaff
September 9th, 2009, 11:01 AM
On kde just right-click the file in dolphin, select 'open with', type wine into the box and click 'remember association'. Dunno about gnome but I guess there is something similar.

daisyashe
September 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I was also trying to work with wine but not getting the success.
Thanks for the information as wahtever software I have install in my system are by direct installation by using rpm package.
With direct option install software.

linuxuser21
September 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
What are you software are you having trouble with in wine?

linuxuser21
September 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
After messing around with this stuff a lot, I've got TexPad to open with most stuff. Office; however, is now screwed up and no longer opening docx, pptx or xlsx successfully by just clicking on it on one of my computers.