PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update download speeds very slow

Zonesys
August 30th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hello,

For the past 4-5 days I have been trying to run update (Juanty 9.04) and my speeds are ave. 12-20Kbs(normally 215-500Kbs). I've never encountered this issue before, 3 weeks ago the last time I ran updater, everything was normal. I have not changed any networking properties so I'm at a lost as to what to do. My Vista install is fine and running browser( Firefox/Linux) to test broadband speed show everything to be normal. I've tried pinging for best repository server, but get the same results regardless which update-server I try.

Any help appreciated.

S

jerrrys
August 30th, 2009, 09:39 PM
my first guess would be "time of day". I have found that in the states that updating is best done in the very early morning hours. at other times i have seen download speed drop to as low as 4000B/s (usually the evening hours) and pinging will not find a good source...

running_rabbit07
August 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM
my first guess would be "time of day". I have found that in the states that updating is best done in the very early morning hours. at other times i have seen download speed drop to as low as 4000B/s (usually the evening hours) and pinging will not find a good source...

+1 I am always downloading new ISOs to test in Virtual Box and in the afternoon and evening they run slower than late night and early morning.

Zonesys
August 30th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks guys,

I have tried at all hours including 2-3 am US eastern. This is just crazy. 3 hrs just to download 100 MB of updates....... I'm just curious if other users are seeing this slow downloads right now??

jerrrys
August 30th, 2009, 10:32 PM
just tried a download out of synaptic right now and getting 32 KB/s

Zonesys
August 30th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hello,

I just changed my server mirror site and when updater started downloading package information ( which now takes 4-5minutes instead of 30secs. before), I noticed one of my CPU cores is pegged at 100% the whole time. Is'nt this a little extreme? Somthing just does not seem right here.

Scott

jerrrys
August 30th, 2009, 10:44 PM
in terminal enter top and see whats going on