PDA

View Full Version : what's the best current verizon phone?

rifak
August 30th, 2009, 04:14 AM
hello,
my fiance and i are going to get a verizon plan this week and wanted some input on what everyone thinks is the best verizon phone. so?

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 04:23 AM
why verizon?

Whiffle
August 30th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Depends on what you want out of it. I like my Centro well enough, it keeps my life organized pretty easily, and works well without the data plan. Battery life is so-so though.

rifak
August 30th, 2009, 04:42 AM
first, we're choosing verizon because mostly everyone i know has it, and with unlimited mobile-to-mobile, it seems like the most logical choice. also the 10 person circle thing...that, and everyone having verizon, we'll actually use very little of our actual minutes.

as for what i want out of a phone: we just want general, all purpose usage. nothing specific. we aren't business people (shes a nurse, and im a research scientist) so we don't need any of the business features. they are running a special right now, buy one blackberry and get one free. because of that, we were thinking about getting two blackberry storms.

HappinessNow
August 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM
hello,
my fiance and i are going to get a verizon plan this week and wanted some input on what everyone thinks is the best verizon phone. so?
None, go with another carrier.

EDIT: Never-mind I didn't read the above post.

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM
first, we're choosing verizon because mostly everyone i know has it, and with unlimited mobile-to-mobile, it seems like the most logical choice. also the 10 person circle thing...that, and everyone having verizon, we'll actually use very little of our actual minutes.

as for what i want out of a phone: we just want general, all purpose usage. nothing specific. we aren't business people (shes a nurse, and im a research scientist) so we don't need any of the business features. they are running a special right now, buy one blackberry and get one free. because of that, we were thinking about getting two blackberry storms.

ok offer looks good

can't say bb storm is best, but is probably good enough

look up some reviews on these and see what quirks you may run into

ps. what area you research?

rifak
August 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM
ok offer looks good

can't say bb storm is best, but is probably good enough

look up some reviews on these and see what quirks you may run into

ps. what area you research?

high-energy nuclear physics. im currently a senior physics major and do work for RHIC-STAR at Brookhaven National Lab

gletob
August 30th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Unless you want horrific data charges Blackberrys/Smartphones are out the window.

A few good phones on Verizon are

LG enV® TOUCH (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4787): Nice feature phone.

LG enV® 2 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3725): This is a good phone for someone who just wants to make calls. While it does have a qwerty keyboard there is no reason to open it and it has large buttons.

Motorola MOTO™ W755 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3785) Nice looking flip phone.

Oh and to those who say "Don't get Verizon!!!!": Let's look. there are 4 major nationwide mobile telcos*: Verizon Sprint AT&T and T-Moble.

I choose Verizon because GSM coverage in my area is horrible. With my CDMA phone I can go to the country, the beach, and the river and get cellular coverage. GSM I can get coverage in Urban and Suburban areas, but not much else. And Sprints current offering for plans are outragous unless you want their simply everything plan. And don't use the argument that ATT's data network is faster. The HSDPA protocal may be capable of high speeds but they don't have enough backbone running to their towers, to cover anything more than EDGE. And compatability overseas is another thing, that's fine and dandy but I've never never left the country, hell I've never been west of the Mississippi.

* Please note: I do not count MVNO's and other provider's such as: Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, Tracfone Wireless, NET10, etc.

pwnst*r
August 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM
why verizon?

cuz they chose it?

Wiebelhaus
August 30th, 2009, 06:10 AM
That new Blackberry is killer , Know 2 people with them I've played with it , it's fantastic and they love them.

rifak
August 30th, 2009, 06:15 AM
That new Blackberry is killer , Know 2 people with them I've played with it , it's fantastic and they love them.

are you referring to the Storm? http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrystorm/

madjr
August 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM
high-energy nuclear physics. im currently a senior physics major and do work for RHIC-STAR at Brookhaven National Lab

that sounds exciting :popcorn:

i bet is hard work. Do you like the facilities and work/research environment?

ps. sorry for getting out of topic xD

jonathonblake
August 30th, 2009, 02:26 PM
wanted some input on what everyone thinks is the best verizon phone.

What is "best" for one person, might be the "worst" for a different person.

The major consideration is "what features do you expect to use?"
* Voice calls;
* Text messaging;
* Video messaging;
* data exchange: IR;
* data exchange: TCP/IP: WiFi;
* data exchange: TCP/IP: No WiFi;
* data exchange: Bluetooth: headsets only;
* data exchange: Bluetooth: any Bluetooth equipped device;

Do you want to use your phone as a:
* GPS Unit;
* Audio Player;
* Video Player;
* Digital still camera;
* Digital video camera;
* Scientific Calculator;
* Business Calculator;
* Physics Calculator;
* Medical Calculator;
* Barcode reader;
* Your all purpose tool for World Wide Web interaction;
* The computer that you throw into your pocket;

Secondary considerations:
* Do you want to use your own:
# Ringtones;
# Wallpaper;
# Themes;
* What quality do you expect for the:
# photographs;
# videos;
# audio recordings;

Regardless of which phone you end up getting, pay close attention to:
* the data portion of the plan;
* the text messaging portion of the plan;
* the video messaging portion of the plan;

Read your contract _very_ carefully. There may be a couple of clauses in it that you find too obnoxious to accept as a condition of service.

Read product reviews, especially by users of the phone, prior to getting it. (Ignore the highest and the lowest ratings --- those were written by fanboys, and can be disregarded as company propaganda.)

Occasionally, you'll find a Verizon rep that will try to steer you away from a specific phone. They may not come out and say it, but some of their phones have an internal reputation for being "extremely bad deals for everybody". I don't have a current list of "bad phones". :(

jonathon