PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running openoffice presentations on Windows

rkakkar
August 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Is there a way I can run openoffice presentations on a Windows machine that doesn't have OpenOffice installed on it? Some way to bundle the "Viewer" like how Microsoft has its PowerPoint viewer?

Hogosha
August 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
the power point viewer should be able to view open office presentations

MrWES
August 28th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Is there a way I can run openoffice presentations on a Windows machine that doesn't have OpenOffice installed on it? Some way to bundle the "Viewer" like how Microsoft has its PowerPoint viewer?

When you save or save as your open office presentation, change the file type to .ppt.

Bill

Tibuda
August 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
When you save or save as your open office presentation, change the file type to .ppt.

Bill

Or better: save it as .pdf.

Terl
August 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
And one more option, you can install Open Office on windows. It is free for Windows too.

bodhi.zazen
August 28th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Virtualbox (run Ubuntu in VM).

rkakkar
August 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
the power point viewer should be able to view open office presentations

Ok. Will check this out.

rkakkar
August 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM

Bill

That, at times, messes up the formatting.

rkakkar
August 28th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Or better: save it as .pdf.

Can't. Need to incorporate animation.

rkakkar
August 28th, 2009, 11:00 PM
And one more option, you can install Open Office on windows. It is free for Windows too.

Cannot. University machines with no rights to install software.

howefield
August 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM
... University machines with no rights to install software.

Would you be able to run portable office from an usb stick ?

lisati
August 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Not being allowed to install OO on the Windows machine(s) you'll be using has its nuisance value.

I'd suggest doing some informal tests to find out what works and what doesn't; perhaps a "slick but not overly-complicated" approach might be needed.

Perhaps researching the default settings might pay off too. The biggest problem I've noticed on the rare occasions I've used documents prepared by MS Office with OO & vice versa is with things that are easily taken for granted like margins.

bodhi.zazen
August 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM

I have a similar problem.

I have an old (windows 98) machine with a light weight (minimal) Linux install + Open Office. I still use this machine for professional presentations, works fine.

I do the development on a more powerful desktop.

fluffman86
August 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I'd recommend saving as a .ppt to start with, and carry the .odp file as well. You should be able to run it with OpenOffice.org Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable).

rkakkar
August 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Would you be able to run portable office from an usb stick ?

This should be possible. How do I go about it on the Windows machine?

mike555
August 28th, 2009, 11:41 PM
http://portableapps.com/suite

howefield
August 29th, 2009, 12:14 AM
This should be possible. How do I go about it on the Windows machine?

Install portableapps launcher from portableapps.com, then openoffice http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable (and anything else you might want to run).

You can then run the apps launcher/programmes from the usb stick in any windows computer without leaving any files on the host computer.

rkakkar
August 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Install portableapps launcher from portableapps.com, then openoffice http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable (and anything else you might want to run).

You can then run the apps launcher/programmes from the usb stick in any windows computer without leaving any files on the host computer.

cool. thanks!

izziere
August 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM

So how would you install an OO viewer then?

Do your audience a favour and make the presentation more basic. Remember, less is more!

Aside from flippancy, just save it as .ppt and then change what you need to, to ensure it works.

Good luck