PDA

View Full Version : Possibly another new Ubuntu user.

zerhacke
August 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
My stepson Tyler saw compiz and the themes for it. He's considering going to Ubuntu just for looks alone.

I know, it's the wrong reason, but it works for me. If he switches every computer and laptop in the house will be Ubuntu.

bterminalx
August 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM
God, been there. Me, personally, I just love ubuntu. When I started out on Ubuntu I was using blackbox and conky. xD.. Oh and that sounds like every mac user I know. They use mac because it looks cool and it's "easy".

zerhacke
August 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Eh, he's an 18 year old boy with no real computer background. He's going to like the bling more than the better reasons to switch.

If he could do it in Windows he would, but you just can't burn an application to the ground with Aero.

If he switches, his younger brother and sister are finally going to be on a system where they can't download viruses and spyware and what have you. That's what I am looking forward to, because I'm tired of reinstalling Windows for them.

jpeddicord
August 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM
If he switches, his younger brother and sister are finally going to be on a system where they can't download viruses and spyware and what have you. That's what I am looking forward to, because I'm tired of reinstalling Windows for them.

You can say that again. Just installed Ubuntu on a customer computer today that was destroyed by that "AntiVirus 2009 Pro" BS.

bterminalx
August 29th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Clever naming. AntiVirus destroys computer. I wish I was there to look into that.. Though, I know what his response .probably. was: "BUT IT SAID IT COULD HELP"

zerhacke
August 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Most of the antispyware software for Windows is really spyware in itself.

cprofitt
August 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
My three children (2, 3, 8) are all on Ubuntu. My eldest switched from Windows XP three years ago. The other two have never known Windows.

zerhacke
August 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
If only my family were like that. I've spent literally years of man hours trying to fix what my kids mess up on the Windows computers. I'm happy my wife switched because now she can download with impunity. I just hope the eldest son decides to switch too so that I can stop fixing their f-ups.

bterminalx
August 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
My three children (2, 3, 8) are all on Ubuntu. My eldest switched from Windows XP three years ago. The other two have never known Windows.

You've got to be the best parent ever. :P

Bios Element
August 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Clever naming. AntiVirus destroys computer. I wish I was there to look into that.. Though, I know what his response .probably. was: "BUT IT SAID IT COULD HELP"

It gets better. Then they argue about how well the malware "antivirus" worked until it broke. >.> And yes, I've had someone say that... Ahh well...

rrplay
August 30th, 2009, 10:35 PM
zerhacke wrote:

My stepson Tyler saw compiz and the themes for it. He's considering going to Ubuntu just for looks alone.

I know, it's the wrong reason, but it works for me. If he switches every computer and laptop in the house will be Ubuntu.

Came across this thread and it really picked me up!!
I always felt that any reason be it virus malware ,,older hardware,$$ performance and looks for anyone to try out linux && Ubuntu is gonna be in for a truly remarkable 'adventure'.

Instead a fuddling with anitivirus malware reinstalls there's plenty of time to tweak compiz.conky,panels,dock,desktops etc

and to think as bonus all the suport is just a forum or IRC chat away!!

zerhacke
August 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'd be all the support he ever needs. The most advanced thing he would do is compiz.

All he ever does on the computer is surf the net. His little sister and brother, though, they try downloading things on their own without permission and that's where I am stuck with the whole virus and spyware problems.

His computer is a 64 bit Celeron D at 3.33Ghz, so he'll have enough power to do just about anything. His would be one of the stronger computers in the house. My laptop is the weakest at 1.6Ghz.

zerhacke
August 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
He did it! Now we're a pure Linux house.

jpeddicord
August 31st, 2009, 09:39 PM
He did it! Now we're a pure Linux house.

Sweet. :)

bterminalx
September 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM
My brother is thinking about letting me install ubuntu to replace windows. He wants me to theme it and install WinE. He's a BIG WoW player and Steam user. Been playing for a long time. I don't know, oh, by the way, well done.