PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New problem listening to BBC radio

Janeleaper
August 26th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Hi.

This problem is on 8.10 and 9.04.

No previous problems listening to BBC radio, but suddenly today can't get it to play. I updated to 9.04 and ran through the comprehensive media how-to, but it made no difference.

When I select the "listen live" option on the BBC 4 home page the media player appears with the message:

For the best possible listening experience, please enable JavaScript.

Click here to launch BBC Radio 4 FM in Real Player."

When I select "click here" the message disappears but it does not play. This happens on all BBC radio channels.

arky
August 26th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Try any of these players gecko-mediaplayer, mozilla-mplayer or you can use totem BBC plugin to listen to these streams.

Janeleaper
August 26th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks but I already have Gecko installed. It is that which is not working. How do I install the other two?

Janeleaper
August 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
And I also have Totem video player with the BBC content plugin already installed. Can't see any way to get it to play BBC radio.

Janeleaper
August 26th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ditto MPLayer, so installation is not the problem.

Janeleaper
August 27th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I have another computer with 8.04 installed. I'm not having any problem with listening to BBC radio on it.

Janeleaper
August 27th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Does anybody have an answer to this?

oboedad55
August 27th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Does anybody have an answer to this?

I'm listening as we speak using the mozilla-mplayer plugin on Firefox. I picked "listen using Realplayer" and then "use a standalone player".

Janeleaper
August 27th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Solved. I've been talking to myself, but I'll give the answer in case anyone reads this with the same problem. It was a Java problem. I went to Synaptic Manager and found that I had Sun Java 5 installed as well as Sun Java 6. I uninstalled Sun Jave 5, restarted Firefox, and everything was hunky-dory.

And I award myself a jam-donut.