PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange webcam feed in Skype

steinnes
August 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hello!

I am having a strange problem with my webcam and Skype.

While the webcam works perfectly well with other applications such as Cheese, when I use it on skype it seems to split the picture in twain somehow, and even superimpose it on another part of the feed. The screenshots I attach should demonstrate this quite well, as my face is split in two, and through my disconnected visage my kitchen cupboards are visibly although stretched quite strangely.

The model of my machine is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ780 laptop, and this is my webcam:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ca:183a Ricoh Co., Ltd

I am running Ubuntu 9.04, and the "uname -a" output:
Linux vaio 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Previously I had found some instructions where people had strange colours affecting their webcam feeds in Skype, to run skype with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so. As the attached screenshots verify, this did not have any effect on the problem in my case :-(

I hope someone here has a clue as to how to help me, I'm afraid I've rather exhausted myself on Google, and since the LD_PRELOAD solution seems to work for the other (probably more common?) problem, that thread is the one I end up at, the most.

I hope I am not leaving out some important bits of information, if so I would be most pleased to provide it.

-Steinn

tripolitan
August 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Since your webcam works perfectly, this is obviously a Skype-only issue. Post your Skype-related questions here http://forum.skype.com/

steinnes
August 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Since when googling the problem the most (and most helpful) discussions were here, I figured I would try here first.

Since the problem described in the other thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=945803) seemed of similar nature and was solved quickly by the helpful community here, I was relatively hopeful.

If I don't get any answers, I will of course direct further questions to forums.skype.com, but I've heard that Skype isn't particularly Linux friendly, so I wasn't expecting much support from there.

Sorry if I offended anyone by asking for help.

tripolitan
August 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
No offense at all! The Skype forum is community-driven as well and you'll probably get the answer much faster since their Linux developers often take part in the discussion. Even if this is an Ubuntu issue, they will have a solution faster because Ubuntu is one of their supported distros.

Good luck

steinnes
August 26th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Ah, thanks for the suggestion :-)

I will be sure to update this thread with the solution if there is one, and it's relevant to Ubuntu rather than just my hardware :-)

-Steinn