PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] multiple simultaneous users

Sharft 6
August 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I have a single radeon 4850 with two DVI ports along with a spare monitor and keyboard. How can I use these ingredients to make a two seat computer?

Cybie257
August 26th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I'm gonna keep watch on this thread and see if something comes up. :)

I'm not sure this would be possible as the keyboards and mice would fight each other for control. Also, having 2 individual desktops on one computer with separate logins would be interesting. I know that you can set up to login from another computer via remote and assigning a different XWindows screen option, but on the same box, I'm curious to see.

-Cybie:-k

murderslastcrow
August 26th, 2009, 08:03 AM
The newest kernel has multi-touch support, which can translate into multiple cursors, so it should be possible to some degree. Probably requires some sort of hack created for Xorg, but I'm unaware of any official options for this sort of thing.

I'll do a little research and come back if I find anything particularly useful to you. Otherwise, I hope someone else comes up with something since this could be useful to my own family if it's possible.

Sharft 6
August 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I've been looking at this (http://linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html) but they are using multiple gfx cards. I just want to use 1 gfx card that has two DVI plugs.

Shadow Warrior
April 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM
I'm gonna keep watch on this thread and see if something comes up. :)

I'm not sure this would be possible as the keyboards and mice would fight each other for control. Also, having 2 individual desktops on one computer with separate logins would be interesting. I know that you can set up to login from another computer via remote and assigning a different XWindows screen option, but on the same box, I'm curious to see.

-Cybie:-k
This is the avenue that I'm considering, if its possible. I have a laptop that's currently running Windows 2000 Pro. It only has (perhaps a maximum) of 192 MB of RAM. This would make an ideal "smart terminal" for a second user (environment) on my Dell Tower which can accept upgrades of memory and hard drives.

How would I accomplish this from either Windows OR a Linux Distribution over my network.