PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Tricky to configure sound card

p-stone
August 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hi all

I have an Audigy 2 ZS platinum (just platinum, not platinum pro) that I'm trying to get going on my x64 build of jaunty (I'm also dual booting to karmic alpha so if there's a solution applicable to either one I'm game). The basic functionality works out of the box, stereo sound is fine in all applications, and if I play a dvd or high def movie in vlc and select the audio device as 5.1 I get full surround using the 3 headphone jacks on the back of the card itself to the multi-channel input on my amp. I'd like to be able to take more full advantage of the card though. For instance, it has a front panel live drive with all sorts of cool features, including a remote, optical MIDI and digital in and out and front panel input and outputs. I've also noticed that my sound comes out at a much lower volume in ubuntu than in windows, not a big deal as I just set the volume control lower in windows, but still curious. I'm wondering if anyone else has this card and has had success in getting the full functionality out of it. I'm a fairly comfortable ubuntu user, but this is my first real foray into configuring sound and the documentation out there is sparse, ALSA page only has documentation for the platinum pro for example. Anyone who could point me to some good reference material or could tell me how they got their card configured would be my hero

Thanks

menthedobes
August 25th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'm having the same problem with the front panel of my Audigy Platinum, so I can't help you with that. I did notice while playing around that the 'Multichannel Playback (ASLA)" in System - Preferences - Sound had the loudest playback level (significant difference from the other options).

p-stone
August 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Menthedobes - Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out when I get home from work, baby steps I guess.

p-stone
September 20th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Well this is embarrassing. So I didn't have the power plugged into the live drive. Don't ask me how I missed this, I really don't know, I had the connector the the sound card hooked in, and I was certainly aware the power had to be connected. Consider this issue resolved
*Hangs head in shame*