PDA

View Full Version : Puppies used to smuggle heroin

BWF89
February 2nd, 2006, 09:09 PM
Ten puppies with bags of liquid heroin surgically implanted into their bellies were seized in a drug bust in Medellin, Colombia, said authorities.

"They utilized a wide range of smuggling, the most repulsive of which was the use of puppies," said John P. Gilbride, head of the DEA's New York office.

"There have been cases of animal cruelty that have led to the discovery of drug labs, but not to the extent of an animal being used to carry drugs, especially a puppy," said ASPCA spokeswoman Jo Sullivan.

Investigators believe that the dogs were used to smuggle heroin into New York on commercial flights. The drugs were then to be distributed and sold along the East Coast.

"Ten puppies, including Labrador retrievers, were rescued during a 2005 raid on a farm in Colombia," said the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) on Wednesday. The Agency also announced that they had made more than 30 arrests.

Authorities believe that a veterinarian, Andres Lopez Elorez (who is also believed to be a fugitive in Spain), opened the bellies of at least six of the ten puppies, inserted 3 - 3KG bags of liquid heroin, and then stitched them back up. Three puppies had died due to infections after the drugs were removed. A total of 14 bags, which were found using ultrasound, were recovered in six puppies.

"The surviving dogs are still alive and well, we're told," said Gilbride. "I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way. This investigation identified the individuals who were responsible for overseeing and smuggling millions of dollars worth of heroin from Colombia to the East Coast."

The investigation revealed that the smugglers, whose ring was based in Medellin, not only used people and puppies to conceal their drugs, but also body creams, aerosol cans, and the linings of purses and luggage.

A tipster is said to have led authorities to the puppies.

It is not known how many puppies were actually used in the smuggling operation.

Three dogs were adopted by Colombian police. At least one of those puppies will be trained to sniff for drugs.

About 24 kilograms of heroin was seized in recent raids in Colombia which have resulted in more than 20 arrests and another 10 in custody in New York. A total of at least 24 kilograms have been siezed in these raids.
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Puppies_used_to_smuggle_heroin

Lord Illidan
February 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Poor puppies. What else can I say?

xequence
February 2nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
I took a quick glance at the title of this topic and read "Puppies used heroin" o.O Then I realised there were a couple more words there.

Brunellus
February 2nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
I love this culture.

Human drug mules are sometimes compelled to carry large quantities of heroin or cocaine inside their own bodies--and nobody raises a fuss about it.

Suddenly, PUPPIES are shown with heroin in their bellies, and there's a hue and cry-- ""I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way".

I guess it is true. In the developed world, one dog's life is worth that of several human beings' lives eslewhere.

Breaks
February 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah i just read that on the bbc news website. All i have to say is what is this world coming to and how screwed up is the society of this world getting these days.

Malphas
February 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
I agree with Brunellus. Also, this is just one of the many side-effects of prohibition (which doesn't work anyway).

prizrak
February 2nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
I love this culture.

Human drug mules are sometimes compelled to carry large quantities of heroin or cocaine inside their own bodies--and nobody raises a fuss about it.

Suddenly, PUPPIES are shown with heroin in their bellies, and there's a hue and cry-- ""I think it's outrageous and heinous that they'd use small, innocent puppies in this way".

I guess it is true. In the developed world, one dog's life is worth that of several human beings' lives eslewhere.
I think the point is that human drug mules are more or less voluntary (not to mention there is no surgery involved). Puppies on the other hand were mutilated for no reason so to speak. It's all ****ed up anyways, government not letting you use drugs? F that!

nemik
February 2nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
I love this culture.

http://70.86.201.113/imageserv2/temporary/PBF083ADExecutiveDecision.jpg

raggamuffin
February 3rd, 2006, 12:56 AM
better cute little puppies than poor, desperate human beings...

(not that i condone any kind of drug trafficking)...

edit...just noticed Brunellus' post...i cosign...

it's amazing/frightening how much some folks in the "first world" value they pets, compared to other (especially black and brown) human beings...

What's wrong with this picture?

A truckload of evacuees arrives at the Metairie evacuation center outside New Orleans
http://img499.imageshack.us/img499/4329/wrong19ec.jpg

Over 150 dogs and other animals were evacuated from an animal hospital after their owners had left town without them
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5752/wrong24up.jpg

Sp@z
February 3rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
I love this culture.

I must say that puppies have no choice......we all have been through ALOT being human beings and all............we make good choices and bad choices........some hurt us some don't..........Animals don't have choices, they have INSTINCT, and that instinct has also been restricted and mutated (not literally) through domestication.......let's face it as homo sapiens we do stupid Sh*t and it makes some folks a whole lot less sensitive.

Breaks
February 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Also what you have to bare in mind is that in order for people to carry drugs in their own bodies all they do is swallow baggies and what not... but they actually cut open the puppies and stitch the bags inside of them man... and how do you think they're going to get them out at the other end? Also i dont think that once the drugs are out they're really going to give a crap about the dogs after and stitch them back up with a wallet full of cash to create a nice family home for themselves.

Also your surprised at people thinking this way about dogs and humans? Dont see a dog mugging old people, dont see a dog doing armed robbery... ive lost most well, compassion for most people in relation to seeing how screwed up society has gotten. Only the other day i read that two 19 year olds killed their grandmother for 3000.

Lovechild
February 3rd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Yet another argument for legalising drugs

asimon
February 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
I love this culture.

A human can refuse to carry dugs, he can go to police, can get medical help, make it voluntarily, for the money, etc. A puppy is absolutely at those drug dealer's mercy. And there are a lot of other differences too, like for example that most human drug mules don't die on infection later because their bellies are cut open unprofessionally, and it's rare that human drug mules are cup open to get the drugs and then just dumped in the waste, etc. pp.

Brunellus
February 3rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
A human can refuse to carry dugs, he can go to police, can get medical help, make it voluntarily, for the money, etc. A puppy is absolutely at those drug dealer's mercy. And there are a lot of other differences too, like for example that most human drug mules don't die on infection later because their bellies are cut open unprofessionally, and it's rare that human drug mules are cup open to get the drugs and then just dumped in the waste, etc. pp.
My point is that there's quite enough human suffering going around which attracts zero attention in the devleloped world. But if you want to get the self-righteous First Worlders out in droves, all you have to do is say that you're mistreating puppies.

But then, what do you expect from societies that often treat their dogs better than they treat their own kids?

egon spengler
February 3rd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Also your surprised at people thinking this way about dogs and humans? Dont see a dog mugging old people, dont see a dog doing armed robbery... ive lost most well, compassion for most people in relation to seeing how screwed up society has gotten. Only the other day i read that two 19 year olds killed their grandmother for 3000.

Of course you don't see dogs commiting armed robbery, you act as if dogs operate to some strict moral code, they just physically are unable of doing such things.

Lord Illidan
February 3rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
The point is that in this messed up world, some people can feel more emotion over their pets than for their fellow human beings. Why? It is a messed up world...

asimon
February 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
My point is that there's quite enough human suffering going around which attracts zero attention in the devleloped world.
So there is enough human suffering, and I should therefore stop caring about non-human suffering? Sorry, being a campassionable human I am just not able to do this. Especially when there is also more then enough animal suffering going around everywhere on our planet which also attracts zero attention.

But if you want to get the self-righteous First Worlders out in droves, all you have to do is say that you're mistreating puppies.
Calling people who are disgusted by mistreatment of animals "self-righteous" is nothing but offending. And this was a thread about the drug puppies. Can't we please be able to talk about how terrible this is without the need to mention in the same sentence the terrible pain of humans else we are called "self-righteous"? Redicilous.

But then, what do you expect from societies that often treat their dogs better than they treat their own kids?
Depends on you POV. It's not hard to see that most of the time humans are better treated then animals, that more is done for the wellfare of humans then for the willfare of animals. And actually I don't think that humanity as a whole will be able to stop treating humans bad unleass they can also stop treating animals bad (I am with Arthur Schopenhauer on this).

Breaks
February 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Of course you don't see dogs commiting armed robbery, you act as if dogs operate to some strict moral code, they just physically are unable of doing such things.

Yeah i know i was just trying to go with the point of how horrid some people can be as opposed to how dogs are not. Dont get me wrong im not saying that a human life isnt more important than a puppies life but still, even i know whats right and wrong in the world and i cant say i personally agree with people stitching drugs into puppies is a good thing.

xequence
February 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yet another argument for legalising drugs

No, an argument for making them more illegal. If drug addicts are so crazy they will harm harmless puppies to satisfy their addictions, then obviously drugs are bad.

prizrak
February 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
No, an argument for making them more illegal. If drug addicts are so crazy they will harm harmless puppies to satisfy their addictions, then obviously drugs are bad.
You got it backwards homie, it's not the drug addicts, it's the dealers they don't do drugs. You also have to realize that if there is demand there will be supply. As long as there is a market for drugs, guns, alcohol, underage prostitutes, etc... there will be someone to provide all those things. It's ****ed up sure, but it's the way life is. Legalizing drugs and whatnot and regulating them would make things better since it would ensure quality and accountability not to mention copious amounts of tax revenue.

xequence
February 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
You got it backwards homie, it's not the drug addicts, it's the dealers they don't do drugs. You also have to realize that if there is demand there will be supply. As long as there is a market for drugs, guns, alcohol, underage prostitutes, etc... there will be someone to provide all those things. It's ****ed up sure, but it's the way life is. Legalizing drugs and whatnot and regulating them would make things better since it would ensure quality and accountability not to mention copious amounts of tax revenue.

Ok then. The drug addicts are so addicted that the drug dealers would do that to puppies to make money.

It would ensure quality... Yay, now I know that there is quality cocaine going around.

Ok. There are the druggies that would do drugs if they were legal or not.

Then there are the ones who would only do them if they were legal.

prizrak
February 3rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
Ok then. The drug addicts are so addicted that the drug dealers would do that to puppies to make money.

It would ensure quality... Yay, now I know that there is quality cocaine going around.

Ok. There are the druggies that would do drugs if they were legal or not.

Then there are the ones who would only do them if they were legal.
You are quite wrong. There has been a recent discovery that has proven that drug/tobacco/alcohol addiction is genetic. Something like 90% of people will try drugs at one point or another, once with the genes for addiction will become addicted. There is also a fact that people get addicted and abuse prescription drugs as much as they do so called illicit drugs. If you remember your history think of the dry laws in both the US and USSR, that didn't stop people from drinking it deterred recreational users sure but not those who are actual addicts. Also the recreational users aren't really a problem they'll get high/drunk once in a while but they won't be the ones that mugg you on the street to get the drugs.

bored2k
February 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
I love this culture.

Exactly. I would insert a cruel but truthful comment here, but I won't.

wncben
February 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM

~sorry, this turned into a doozy of a rant~

Actually it is a matter of supply and demand mixed with a public policy problem. Nobody wants do be a drug addict. You don't hear little billy, suzie and tommy saying "I wanna be a fireman when I groe up. I wanna be a doctor. Oh yeah, well I wanna be a crackhead"

There are numerous reasons why people become addicted to drugs. Whether they are right wing talk show host 'rush'ing out to meet their illegal immigrant housekeeper that they had score pills for them, or an honest person that has hit upon tough times and drowns their sorrows in a bag of T, addicts have one thing in common: They are addicted. If you have never faced an addiction before, you have no idea of the difficulties facing recovery. My addiction was luckly to the legal drug nicotine. It took my daughter going to the emergency room with alergy induced asthma to force me to quit. I am glad that it was a legal substance, with a great support group.

Who would you trust:

Hi, my name is ben, I just quit smoking ciggarettes last week. I used to smoke a pack a day."
or
Hi, my name is Ben, I quit a 4 bag a day heroine habit and have been clean for over a year now.

Most people would trust the ex smoker, and encourage them in thier healthy lifestyle, while the person who was addicted to a much more addicted substance would be treated with suspicion.

Prohibition does not work, as america found out during the age of Al Capone. Prohibition raised the price that someone would pay for a drink of wattered down scotch enough so that ruthless gangsters did a quick risk benefit analysis and found that they could make a huge profit, by hiring desperately poor people to carry the stuff over the border of canada, and to make illegal alcohol labs. Finally prohibition was lifted and the price of booze fell. instead of spending money to fight a losing battle, the government decided to instead win the war. Since prohibition people have been able to find treatment for their alcoholism, and the general view of alcoholics has gone from criminal, to victim. I mean we even elected a man arrested on a dui for president (GW Bush). During prohibition ther was a predjudice against anyone who had a drink, and careers were ruined because of rumors about a possible drink a person may or may not have had. That same attitude is prevalent today with drugs. A person who smoke or drinks is ok, a person who "inhaled" is not.

So lets take this little history lesson and apply it to today.

The conservative agenda says that sending a "strong message" to drug users is going to work. We have been doing this unsucessfully for years, at the expence of billions of taxpayer dollars. There IS a BETTER WAY.

The right wing says that by making more laws and making the risk greater, people will stop using drugs. What the 1920's proved was that making things riskier only makes things more profitable for the drug cartels, and leads to people and puppies with drugs in their tummies. There IS a BETTER WAY.

They will tell you that putting an ever increasing number of people in prison will somehow make people stop taking drugs despite the ever increasing drug problem. There IS a BETTER WAY.

We need to:
stop reacting to drug crimes, and start acting to reduce the drug problem. If your goal is to put as many americans in jail for drug crimes as possible, then the right wing makes sense, but a much better way would be to reduce the drug problem, so that there would be fewer people addicted to drugs, commiting the drug crimes in the first place. A wise man once said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
~ Eliminate the demand for drugs by offering treatment for users, and by decriminalising small quantities, so that those people picked up for possession are offered a way out, not a way in to the system. We need sensible drug laws. It is ridiculus that if a man is arrested 3 time for having one joint in his pocket he goes to jail for life- three strikes. If a guy in california rapes and murders a girl he can be back on the streets in a couple years due to prison overcrowding. If instead of locking the drug user up, we offer him treatment, then it is unlikely he would be arrested the second and third times.
On the user level, we need to look at drugs as a medical emergency, a pandemic of global perportions. Right now a person can not even seek treatment for a drug problem without admiting to commiting a crime. We need to offer drug treatment to these people. Offer them hope, and a way out. Less addicts means less users, less customers for the drug lords.
The law of supply and demand tells us that this will greatly lower the profitability of drugs which will lower the inducement facor to import drugs. Then we go after the big wigs, and start traeting drug kingpins like the terrorists they are. A couple pictures of druglords in "stress positions" circulating the news media should make them think twice about the risk to benefit ratio of infesting drugs on america.

If you want to punish lots of drug users then keep on steering the course. But I preffer the better way.

~'Ol Ben

xequence
February 4th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Who would you trust:

Hi, my name is ben, I just quit smoking ciggarettes last week. I used to smoke a pack a day."
or
Hi, my name is Ben, I quit a 4 bag a day heroine habit and have been clean for over a year now.

Id congratulate both of them and trust them both unless I had a reason not to. Now, if someone told me they did heroin, I wouldent trust them.

The conservative agenda says that sending a "strong message" to drug users is going to work. We have been doing this unsucessfully for years, at the expence of billions of taxpayer dollars. There IS a BETTER WAY.

Please dont tell me you are one of those liberals who believe martin saying the conservatives have a hidden agenda. Oh, wait, youre from the US arnt you? Nevermind =P

My addiction was luckly to the legal drug nicotine. It took my daughter going to the emergency room with alergy induced asthma to force me to quit. I am glad that it was a legal substance, with a great support group.

Congrats :)

wncben
February 4th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Uhm, maybe I'm a little sick in the head, but anyone heard of Dr. Demento? He had a song on his show once called dead puppies. Hmm Think I'll google it. sure wish my sound was working...:evil:

454redhawk
April 14th, 2007, 09:22 PM

it's amazing/frightening how much some folks in the "first world" value they pets, compared to other (especially black and brown) human beings...

Why is it frightening? There is nothing wrong with me or anyone else placing more value on their dog than someone they dont even know.

What differece does it make what color thay are anyway? Or are you just trying to stir the pot by race baiting?

454redhawk
April 14th, 2007, 09:37 PM
There has been a recent discovery that has proven that drug/tobacco/alcohol addiction is genetic.

Not a chance in hell that someone is born to do drugs or drink.

ALL humans have a choice. You can do it or not. VERY simple.

That being said I wont argue that some people are completely weak minded and refuse to stop doing whatever it is that they are addicted to.

Fat people
Druggies
Theives
Gamblers
Drunks

Each and evey one of those people can and do make a choice to do or not to do those things. Its nothing but a matter of will power. Nothing more nothing less.

ANYONE can stop doing those things if they choose to do so.
Alcholisim is not a disease. It may have been labled as such for what ever reason (insurance coverage?) but it is not something you "catch". You can refuse being an drunk but you cant refuse to be a cancer patient.

Its all a bunch of mumbo jumbo so weak people dont have to take responsibility for thair actions.

EdThaSlayer
April 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Are you serious?Dogs get a plane ride?WTH?
It is true that animals are being treated too well, especially dogs, but what can you say?If there were no animals than the billion dollar pet food industry would be out of business which would mean a lot of people would be jobless. Then again, those people could have found a job elsewhere that benefits *mankind* and not some animal which doesn't benefit man that much anymore(and if you say I'm cruel, I'm saying the truth :) ).

Polygon
April 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
it wasnt a plane ride, it was a greyhound bus (lol)

anyway, drugs in my opinion is evolution in action. all the stupid people do drugs, and will eventually kill themselfs off leaving the people who are smart enough not to use drugs to live their lives. some people are able to overcome their addictions, but the reality is that most dont.

and legalizing drugs, god forbid that if this happens in this country, ill be one of the first in line at the airport to move to europe somewhere.

but resorting to smuggling drugs using humans/animals is really low...

Nils Olav
April 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
What can I say, we americans value are morals even when they don't make sense. Many americans (and others) just simply believe recreational drugs are so bad that we should try to ban them. Hopefully in the future we will learn from this.

454redhawk
April 15th, 2007, 12:02 AM

anyway, drugs in my opinion is evolution in action. all the stupid people do drugs, and will eventually kill themselfs off leaving the people who are smart enough not to use drugs to live their lives. some people are able to overcome their addictions, but the reality is that most dont.

and legalizing drugs, god forbid that if this happens in this country, ill be one of the first in line at the airport to move to europe somewhere.

Apparenty you have no clue as t what you are talking about.

Thousands of drugs (who are you to determine what one is good or bad) are legal.

coffee
vodka
nicotine

the list goes on and on.

See you at the airport!! Dont let the jetway hit you in the A$$.

OffHand
April 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM
anyway, drugs in my opinion is evolution in action. all the stupid people do drugs, and will eventually kill themselfs off leaving the people who are smart enough not to use drugs to live their lives.

Generalization is bad mkay

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 01:01 AM
If heroin and other class A-C drugs were legal then there would probabally be less deaths because the drugs wouldnt be mixed with rat poison, talcum powder, and who knows what else. Also western governments would make billions taxing it.

bernied
April 15th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Is that a country?
Does it have more right-wing drug laws than the US?
Would they let you stay?
(In case you don't get sarcasm, the answer to all three questions is no)

jgrabham
April 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM

please please please stay out of our continent :)

although have to say europe is becoming more like a country every day :( more and more laws from brussels, but thats unrelated, and ive just noticed its 25 past 1 in the morning :0

still that means GB first world championship game against Japan is in about 12 hours

wow ive been blabbering for a while!