PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] My sound card is not recognized sometimes

Cadeyrn
August 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I'm using the Pangolin Performance PANP5, and almost every time I boot into Linux or Windows, my sound card is ignored by both OSes--not even listed in their device managers. I have had this problem for weeks and started all kinds of help topics and e-mails about it and I just can't stand it anymore!!! When I want sound in Linux, I have to boot it over and over and over, and when I want sound in Windows, I have to reinstall the driver and reboot. I cannot stand it anymore!!! If this is unfixable, then I need to know if it's possible to send this computer to the shop with a guarantee that no piece of hardware will be touched besides my sound card.

thomasaaron
August 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I saw your email on this. (Just got back from vacation, and I'm trying to get caught up.)

Sounds like you might have a legitimate hardware problem on this one. This certainly isn't something I've ever seen before.

You don't have a sound *card*, per se. Your sound is integrated into the motherboard. Most likely they will have to replace your motherboard.

I'll follow up shortly via email.

Cadeyrn
August 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Wow, thanks for the 5-minute reply :)

Does replacing my motherboard mean changing anything on my hard drive besides what drivers are installed? Because reinstalling and reconfiguring my OSes won't be too much of a pain, but it will he a pain.

EDIT: Don't bother to reply to this; I'll just include it in that e-mail form you asked me to fill out.