PDA

View Full Version : How many people had the fun of...

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Taking their kids to their first day of school today?

I took my daughter and I never thought she would be as brave as she was. While other kids were crying that they wanted to go back home my daughter rushed me out of the house to get there and meet her new teacher and make some new friends.

Swagman
August 24th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Awesome

Bet you were proud

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 07:52 PM

I took my daughter and I never thought she would be as brave as she was. While other kids were crying that they wanted to go back home my daughter rushed me out of the house to get there and meet her new teacher and make some new friends.

Don't have any kids, but I remember when I was a kid I was scared to death of school for the very first time. That wore off over time.

Elfy
August 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Nice one - I remember taking my littlest one for her first day and being told by her to go now :)

Might have been that she was the only one taken by her dad though ...

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Don't have any kids, but I remember when I was a kid I was scared to death of school for the very first time. That wore off over time.

As a kid I couldn't wait for the first day of school. 1) it meant it was birthday time! 2) there was learnin' to do!

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM
As a kid I couldn't wait for the first day of school. 1) it meant it was birthday time! 2) there was learnin' to do!Were you excited even for the very first day of P-Shool or Kindergarten?

I remember I was excited after the very first time, and looked forward mostly to going to the library, I would skip recess and sneak into the library and Science room and read while all the other kids ran around outside. :P

Muffinabus
August 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I was one of those kids who cried profusely. Sat at the front door during all of preschool crying.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I was one of those kids who cried profusely. Sat at the front door during all of preschool crying.

Having to leave home for the first time to the great unknown away from the love of Mom and Dad can be frightening, but once the unknown is resolved then things can be viewed differently and school becomes a thing to look forward to.

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 08:15 PM
A large part of her happiness came from not having to see her witch day care teacher any more.

She made us take her to the doctor to finish up her shots last month to make sure she was going to school this year. She loves to learn. For a 5 year old, I am impressed with her knowledge and her ability to apply it.

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Having to leave home for the first time to the great unknown away from the love of Mom and Dad can be frightening, but once the unknown is resolved then things can be viewed differently and school becomes a thing to look forward to.

She has been in day care ever since like 14 months old.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 08:21 PM
She has been in day care ever since like 14 months old.Very nice; in my youth I was not socialized in Day care, I had a stay at home Mom and only knew my Parents and siblings, anything else was completely alien to me.

Congratulations on the happiness and love in your family, I am am overjoyed your daughter finds happiness in school, this will bring her great joy and success later in life.

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Very nice; in my youth I was not socialized in Day care, I had a stay at home Mom and only knew my Parents and siblings, anything else was completely alien to me.

Congratulations on the happiness and love in your family, I am am overjoyed your daughter finds happiness in school, this will bring her great joy and success later in life.
Thanx, I was in the same boat as you when I was a kid. I stayed home and was probably stuck watching soaps all day, which may be the reason I hate drama queens.

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Were you excited even for the very first day of P-Shool or Kindergarten?

I remember I was excited after the very first time, and looked forward mostly to going to the library, I would skip recess and sneak into the library and Science room and read while all the other kids ran around outside. :P

Dunno about preschool...kindergarden yeah. I requested to go to kindergarden that year. The school district said I was better off taking another year of preschool since my birthday was the cutoff date. They were quite wrong :) I spent most of the first few years of school wishing I could skip a grade and be in the classes where I'd actually learn something.

HappinessNow
August 24th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanx, I was in the same boat as you when I was a kid. I stayed home and was probably stuck watching soaps all day, which may be the reason I hate drama queens.Not to give away my age but I remember before the soaps there was the 3 million dollar movie (or something like that) :P

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Dunno about preschool...kindergarden yeah. I requested to go to kindergarden that year. The school district said I was better off taking another year of preschool since my birthday was the cutoff date. They were quite wrong :) I spent most of the first few years of school wishing I could skip a grade and be in the classes where I'd actually learn something.

They didn't give us a choice. Her b-day is in November, but she was ready for school last year. She already knew her alphabet and could write most of the letters. Now she is stuck with 40% of her class not knowing any English and probably none of them can write. We are hoping she gets bumped up a grade.

lisati
August 24th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Sighs.... haven't had the pleasure of dropping kids at school, and it has been a long time since I went to school.....

Stand by for a fit of nostalgia! e.g. in my teenage years no internet, having a basic calculator was a rarity.

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
They didn't give us a choice. Her b-day is in November, but she was ready for school last year. She already knew her alphabet and could write most of the letters. Now she is stuck with 40% of her class not knowing any English and probably none of them can write. We are hoping she gets bumped up a grade.

I was given the choice because my birthday was *on* the cutoff date...not clearly before and not clearly after. Technically, I was allowed to move ahead but they were afraid I'd be unprepared, so they asked my mom. My mom asked me.

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I was given the choice because my birthday was *on* the cutoff date...not clearly before and not clearly after. Technically, I was allowed to move ahead but they were afraid I'd be unprepared, so they asked my mom. My mom asked me.

I think here the cut-off was Oct 31. She was more than ready to go, but they said no. Where I am from in Virginia, they let your kids do a placement test if you want to get the kid in early. Right now she is going to be bored out of her mind because the teacher is going to be teaching the kids how to say the alphabet in English for the nest 3 months. Not to mention teaching them speak the basic English words needed to communicate.

macogw
August 24th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I think here the cut-off was Oct 31. She was more than ready to go, but they said no. Where I am from in Virginia, they let your kids do a placement test if you want to get the kid in early. Right now she is going to be bored out of her mind because the teacher is going to be teaching the kids how to say the alphabet in English for the nest 3 months. Not to mention teaching them speak the basic English words needed to communicate.

High non-English speaking population in VA... Ashburn?

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 09:02 PM
High non-English speaking population in VA... Ashburn?

Sadly, I don't live over on that side of the country anymore. Las Vegas, NV

Our friends is a middleschool English teacher and when she did her meet and greet she found that 1/3rd of the students she was getting don't speak English and she doesn't speak Spanish.

Mohamedzv2
August 24th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Haven't gotten a kid yet (well...it would be wrong for someone my age to have a kid) but when I was starting I wouldn't go in because I simply refused to speak or learn English. And I was foreign in America.

Little Bit
August 24th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Today was my first day of high school! I was terrified but excited too. Luckily I know a few kids from dance class and gymnastics so I wasn't totally alone. I kept getting lost though. The campus is so big! So many rooms and so many long hallways. I was late to every class but one because I kept getting lost! They should have upperclassmen to "adopt" new Freshmen so we don't get lost and feel scared so much.

But good news! We'll have a computer club and maybe I'll get to show Ubuntu to some other kids there! And a dance team, tennis team and swim team too. I think I'll like high school once I get used to it.

Amy

running_rabbit07
August 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Today was my first day of high school! I was terrified but excited too. Luckily I know a few kids from dance class and gymnastics so I wasn't totally alone. I kept getting lost though. The campus is so big! So many rooms and so many long hallways. I was late to every class but one because I kept getting lost! They should have upperclassmen to "adopt" new Freshmen so we don't get lost and feel scared so much.

But good news! We'll have a computer club and maybe I'll get to show Ubuntu to some other kids there! And a dance team, tennis team and swim team too. I think I'll like high school once I get used to it.

Amy

I am glad you see all the pros of your new school and not the cons. My first day at my new school consisted of my new principal calling me to his office to let me know that my middle school sent over my records and he would be watching me. 2 days later I got my first suspension. As soon as the principal found out that I was accepted on the swim team, he had me removed because I was a smoker. I was also the fastest person at tryouts.

xpod
August 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
How many people had the fun of...

Four times over, both Nursery and Big School, as the Nursery children call it.That`s Primary school Reception Class down here in England or Primary One as it was back in Scotland.
Missed my second oldest girls first days though:(

It`s when you tell them you`d like to come "see them off" at Secondary School that the hissy fits really start.....:twisted: