PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770

costoa
February 2nd, 2006, 05:48 PM
So far it's my smallest GNU/Linux box. Too bad Ubuntu doesn't have an ARM version. BTW, the battery next to the 770 is an AA and the screen is much better in real life (800x480 resolution at 225 dpi).

TechSonic
February 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Gib!! NOW!!! I wanna do that to my Cell phone.

DJ_Max
February 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Arghh. I really didn't need to see that. How much did it set you back?

DoorGunner
February 2nd, 2006, 06:20 PM
ya....way to go.....

now i have to have one..... you could be responsible for my death if my wife finds out. ;)

costoa
February 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Arghh. I really didn't need to see that. How much did it set you back?

$380 USD. IMO not a bad deal for how much it does, how flexable it is and how well it's built. It has also replaced my small notebook. A gorgeous machine..

fuscia
February 2nd, 2006, 06:38 PM
770, cheap dell laptop, 770, dell, 770, del...DAMN YOU!!!

DJ_Max
February 2nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
....Too bad Ubuntu doesn't have an ARM version.....
It can, you would essentially need to rebuild all the software, and mess around with the kernel.:twisted:

briancurtin
February 2nd, 2006, 07:06 PM
is that not just a shot of this forum?

are you actually running ubuntu on this device?

DJ_Max
February 2nd, 2006, 07:17 PM

As he said in his first post, he is not running Ubuntu.

costoa
February 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM

It's running Nokia's twist on debian.

nemik
February 2nd, 2006, 09:16 PM
can it authenticate with secure wireless like WEP and/or WPA, TTLS/PAP?

i already have my lovely tine dell 700m, but this is just so damn cool. how long do batteries last for? are they proprietary nokia ones?

costoa
February 2nd, 2006, 10:39 PM
can it authenticate with secure wireless like WEP and/or WPA, TTLS/PAP?

i already have my lovely tine dell 700m, but this is just so damn cool. how long do batteries last for? are they proprietary nokia ones?

WEP worked correctly out of the box. Even WPA-PSK worked correctly on the first try.

Battery life: I've been getting at least 3 hours with heavy 802.11g use, 4+ with with light net access. The battery looks likea typical Nokia cell battery. I suspect someone will offer a non OEM by the end of year. Charging is very fast (1 hour gets you a 75% charge).

And yes, it is very cool. =)

nemik
February 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
just another reason for my girlfriend to kill me...but damn is it ever tempting!

enjoy it! have you tried building any apps for it? it probably supports python, no? i imagine some really cool stuff could be done with that.

get it to run kismet and airsnort....oh man i should stop now, my wallet is hurting just thinking about it! :D

imagine
February 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Here's another review: http://tuxtops.com/node/501

Nice product, since it's a) runs Linux and b) screen resolution of 800x480 just rocks.

costoa
February 3rd, 2006, 12:33 AM
just another reason for my girlfriend to kill me...but damn is it ever tempting!

I don't know ... a week on the couch for a new toy might be worth it. =)

enjoy it! have you tried building any apps for it? it probably supports python, no? i imagine some really cool stuff could be done with that.

Python support has started, Nokia wants it but it's still shaky. By the end of the year most of the bugs should be worked out.

get it to run kismet and airsnort....oh man i should stop now, my wallet is hurting just thinking about it! :D

kismet and airsnort are a must. I suspect they will get ported soon. I also suspect the 770 might become the "must have" tool for those with an interest in security.

nemik
February 3rd, 2006, 02:13 AM
I don't know ... a week on the couch for a new toy might be worth it. =)

hehe not sure about that...a week is a long time!

Python support has started, Nokia wants it but it's still shaky. By the end of the year most of the bugs should be worked out.

that is excellent, i may wait till then; price will be cheaper anyway unless...

kismet and airsnort are a must. I suspect they will get ported soon. I also suspect the 770 might become the "must have" tool for those with an interest in security.

i may get it as soon as that stuff gets ported. that will be just crazy.

thanks for the info about it too. :)

dalani
February 3rd, 2006, 03:06 AM
Oh that is nice! Have you tried a pdf or djvu e-book reader app? Seems like the screen looks comfortably large enough to read e-books. PSP and iPods missed the boat by not offering this on their hardware. Maybe Nokia will clue in on such an obvious app.

costoa
February 19th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Sorry for the delay. Basicly it chokes on big PDFs. Straight text: no problem; with vector graphics: sucks. For ebooks I've been going to Project Gutenberg and getting text/html.

bluenova
May 23rd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Memory: Flash 128MB (RS-MMC up to 1 GB)

Considering you can buy 8Gb USB memory sticks these days 128mb is pretty poor.

Sushi
May 23rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Memory: Flash 128MB (RS-MMC up to 1 GB)

Considering you can buy 8Gb USB memory sticks these days 128mb is pretty poor.

Considering that 8GB of flash costs shitload of money, 128MB is decent. Not great, but enough for most uses. If you want more, you can expand it with RS-MMC-cards.

Lovechild
May 23rd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Sexy... small... convenient...

Damn my lack of cash...

Sushi
May 23rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
Sexy... small... convenient...

Damn my lack of cash...

suck it down, Lovechild :)

Link (http://www.nbl.fi/%7Enbl48/img_1126.jpg)

Lovechild
May 23rd, 2006, 06:57 PM

Link (http://www.nbl.fi/%7Enbl48/img_1126.jpg)

Did I mention it's my birthday mid next month?

Super King
May 23rd, 2006, 07:37 PM

Link (http://www.nbl.fi/%7Enbl48/img_112.jpg)

Stop man, I need to save my money :)

OT, but that's a Logitech Ultra X keyboard right? Just ordered one yesterday for myself :mrgreen:

bluenova
May 24th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Considering that 8GB of flash costs shitload of money, 128MB is decent. Not great, but enough for most uses. If you want more, you can expand it with RS-MMC-cards.
Obviously 8Gb would be crazy money, but what's 512Mb gonna cost you, €50? I'd much rather pay €50 more to have 512Mb fixed Ram, and it should be able to take any size cards, not just up to 1Gb. Seems a bit silly to me as it wouldn't cost much more.

Sushi
May 24th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Obviously 8Gb would be crazy money, but what's 512Mb gonna cost you, ?50? I'd much rather pay ?50 more to have 512Mb fixed Ram, and it should be able to take any size cards, not just up to 1Gb. Seems a bit silly to me as it wouldn't cost much more.

the device would then cost more, is that what you want? and the 1GB limitation is due to the fact that there is bigger rs-mmc-cards than 1GB available. if someone released 2GB card, it should work just fine.

of course we would all want a 770 with faster cpu, 512mb of ram and 1gb of flash. but lets be realistic here

bluenova
May 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM
the device would then cost more, is that what you want? and the 1GB limitation is due to the fact that there is bigger rs-mmc-cards than 1GB available. if someone released 2GB card, it should work just fine.

of course we would all want a 770 with faster cpu, 512mb of ram and 1gb of flash. but lets be realistic here
Yes

If it cost €50 more and had 512Mb Ram I would buy it. But as I already have a Pocket PC with 128Mb of ram I know it would get used up very quickly, so I wouldn't buy it.

Sushi
May 24th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Yes

If it cost ?50 more and had 512Mb Ram I would buy it. But as I already have a Pocket PC with 128Mb of ram I know it would get used up very quickly, so I wouldn't buy it.

then don't, problem solved. besides, what makes you think it's extra 50e extra, and not 100e? I currently have nethack, xterm, ssh, scummvm, beneath the steel sky and evince installed, and I still have 47 megs of free space. and i uld free space by removing some unneeded video-clips and the like. and i haven't even touched the mmc

bluenova
May 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
then don't, problem solved. besides, what makes you think it's extra 50e extra, and not 100e? I currently have nethack, xterm, ssh, scummvm, beneath the steel sky and evince installed, and I still have 47 megs of free space. and i uld free space by removing some unneeded video-clips and the like. and i haven't even touched the mmc
LOL, cause it looks really sweet, and I want it, just not with 128mb of Ram, concidering ram is so cheap.

Sushi
May 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
LOL, cause it looks really sweet, and I want it, just not with 128mb of Ram, concidering ram is so cheap.

are you talking of ram or flash? ram isn't really an issue, the device is fast enough. and you can expand flash with mmc-cards. so what exactly is the problem here? you said that you would pay more if it had more memory. well, buy a 1gb mmc-card for 70e, and the problem disappears.

bluenova
May 24th, 2006, 10:31 AM
It's the same thing on those devices no? The data is stored and run from Flash? I have no idea how it would work with Linux but with Pocket PC using a flash card is not as simple as using the build in flash drive, because of how the program has been designed (in a bad way) so I just wanted more internal memory rather than having to swap out cards, and move stuff between the internal flash and a flash card etc etc. No Problem.

Sushi
May 24th, 2006, 10:39 AM
It's the same thing on those devices no? The data is stored and run from Flash? I have no idea how it would work with Linux but with Pocket PC using a flash card is not as simple as using the build in flash drive, because of how the program has been designed (in a bad way) so I just wanted more internal memory rather than having to swap out cards, and move stuff between the internal flash and a flash card etc etc. No Problem.

by default, apps are installed in internal flash, and mmc is used to store data. but you can expand the root-fs to the mmc, increasing the flash-space for apps by huge amount. you can also use the flash as swap.

besides flash, the device has 64mb of ram.

th3t1nm4n
June 4th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I'm thinking of getting one of these, it looks awesome and linux that fits in my pocket and has graphics seems oh-so-sweet. My main question is how do you type on it? Do you draw on the screen, is there a hidden keyboard, or is there an onscreen keyboard? Also have you tried bluetooth keyboard and/or mouse on it?

beow
June 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM
It has an onscreen keyboard, on which you pick and hunt with a plastic stylus. It is really not very comfortable, but the upgraded firmware that is due soon, will have a larger onscreen keyboard. You also have a hand-writing option onscreen, but I think it is very difficult to input with that option.

On the positive side, it is a solid little box with few moving parts, and has a sturdy feeling.

kleeman
September 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
I got one of these about a month ago. Very nice toy I must say! Two things that helped a lot:

1) Upgrade to 1GB flash memory. I got a RMC from NewEgg for $25 (!) which works perfectly.
2) Upgrade to the 2006 OS. Snappier and more versatlie desktop with a finger keyboard.

WPA-psk works perfectly and it has little problem connecting to the typical hotel's access points.

There are a fair list of ported apps which are useful (eg xterm, ssh, e-book reader (fbreader)).

What is interesting is that the development environment can be set up fairly easily in a regular Ubuntu x86 install and nokia uses very slightly modified deb packages.

So it sounds as if it would be possible in principle to take Ubuntu (or Debian) source packages and recompile using standard Debian commands. Hmm there must be a catch right? That sounds too easy....

stevieb
November 27th, 2006, 07:07 PM
hello,

i just picked up one of these babies, and would like to upgrade the os from my ubuntu edgy box. the maemo site doesn't seem to have the right flasher (page is empty since 15 november).

anyone have any ideas? maybe point me to a howto?

thanks!

-steve

kleeman
November 27th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Here you go:

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=221909