PDA

View Full Version : ENGTX260 Squealing

romyboat
August 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I bought a new graphics card ENGTX260 and there's a horrible squeal immediately from bootup. I believe everything is plugged in nice and tight. When I go into my windows xp, everything seems okay and I am able to install the drivers etc. perfectly. However, this horrible squeal is always going and I can't tell if its the graphics card or power supply. Here's the specs:

OCZ Fatality 700W power supply
ASUS P6T Motherboard
ENGTX260 (SP16)
2 Harddrives (7200 rpm)
1 CD-drive

I have two PCI-E 6 pins plugged into my graphics card and two 4pins for the cpu. Everything looks like its running perfectly but this horrible squeal. It's very deafening and it's not something I can simply cope with. Can anyone please give suggestions? I believe I have plenty of power for the graphics card so I doubt I need a more power.

Thanks ahead of time.

PurposeOfReason
August 24th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Might be the fan. Easy check is to stop the fan with your finger and see if it goes away. Of course don't keep it stopped.

romyboat
August 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try tonight.

khelben1979
August 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM
If you have warranty for that graphic card you might consider sending it back and get your money back, or tell them to replace the fan so you won't loose the warranty.

romyboat
August 25th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Okay I stopped the fan while running and the squeal still exists. I'm currently in contact with some help from ASUS but they're quite slow in response. They just told me to clean the gold pins with 'a rubber'... I forgot in England that might mean eraser.

Luckily the card comes with a 1 year warranty and I made my email clear that the squeal happened immediately. Any other ideas?

PurposeOfReason
August 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
RMA it. There are a lot of threads on the [H]ardForums about this. As far as anyone knows, nothing will break but it is darn annoying.