PDA

View Full Version : [other] Motherboard turns on when plugged in.

Maheriano
August 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
This is not operating system specific, it did this before I even installed anything. So I have an Intel D945GCLF motherboard and hooked up an extra power supply to it. The only thing I have hooked to the board is the 20 pin ATX connector and the 4 pin P4 connector, that's it. No power button, nothing. As soon as I plug the PSU into the wall, the computer boots up. I've never seen this before, any ideas? The CMOS battery was dead so I replaced it and it's still happening.

Plus whenever I turn it off, it turns on by itself a minute or so later.

gordintoronto
August 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM
This is not operating system specific, it did this before I even installed anything. So I have an Intel D945GCLF motherboard and hooked up an extra power supply to it. The only thing I have hooked to the board is the 20 pin ATX connector and the 4 pin P4 connector, that's it. No power button, nothing. As soon as I plug the PSU into the wall, the computer boots up. I've never seen this before, any ideas? The CMOS battery was dead so I replaced it and it's still happening.

Plus whenever I turn it off, it turns on by itself a minute or so later.

Do you have any PCI devices installed? You might need to change a setting in your BIOS. On my computer, it's called "PME Event Wakeup," under "power management." There are several other "wake up" settings in my BIOS.

On another computer it had a different name, which I do not remember. I installed a PCI sound card and the computer immediately powered up, so I had to change the setting.

celthunder
August 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
Turn auto power on after power off in your bios off. it's intended for if theres a storm or something and your electricity gets cut while it's on it turns itself back on once the power is restored.

Maheriano
August 24th, 2009, 12:48 AM
No PCI cards and that auto on setting is already off.

celthunder
August 24th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Are the pins for the power touching each other through metal or directly somehow?